1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My next camera???

Discussion in 'Other Interchangeable-Lens Systems' started by wt21, Jun 14, 2012.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I just cancelled a third pre-order for the EM5. I love my m43 gear, but I just can't pull the trigger on the EM5 at present.

And here's why.

My next camera -- the smaller and affordable Nikon D600 entry-level full frame: First leaked Nikon D600 images | Nikon Rumors

Don't know if this qualifies as a serious compact, but this has got my interest big time.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is the first DSLR I'm really interested in since 2009.

Nikon D600 + Voigtlaender Color-Skopar 20/3.5 + Nikkor 50/1.8 + Nikkor 85/1.8 = very interesting combo.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Hi
    A great move by Nikon.
    I will still upgrade my CSC sometime soon, and add the D600 in a year or so, assuming it's cool.

4. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I agree this looks great.

I am happy with the E-M5 as my compact/travel option (it is still pretty small with the 20/1.7), but I have been thinking about picking up a DSLR for when I am working out of a car, or don't mind carrying something bigger. Given the fact that APS-C wide angles are somewhat limited, and the lenses seem to end up being the same size as their FF brothers, it would seem like a lighter/smaller/cheaper FF body would be a good option.

5. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Well, if you place a preorder at announcement, you just may get it in a year or so! :rofl:

6. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    If they produce a pancake like the Canon 40mm f2.8 I may start drooling a bit. But I won't order it as I feel it's still too much money and weight for what it would offer me over my current gear.

7. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Oooooooooo.......

Any idea on a price?

8. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Rumor is $1,500, though we'll see.

9. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    What's that in real money...? :wink:

10. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Fine with me. I'll need to save up for the 3 primes and possibly single zoom I would want for it.

11. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    It looks like this has forced Pentax to leak some FF information also:
    RiceHigh's Pentax Blog

It does seem like the combination of less expensive and smaller FF bodies and CSCs are putting the squeeze on high-end crop sensor DSLRs.

Yeah, and I am guessing QA will be better by then and you may save a buck/loonie or two.

12. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Personally? I think APS-C DSLRs can go away. The lenses are still big, the mirrorbox makes them big, too. Relative to mirrorless. But FF can stay DSLR sized, though for me, I'd prefer it more D5000/T4i sized.

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    That is something I will believe when its on a shelf and I can see it, and not before. I have a couple of FF lenses so it would be convenient. The D600 could be enough to make me jump ship though.

14. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011

Awww, don't be hatin' =) I like my little XSi [smaller than t4i] and macro lenses. I could never afford a 5D+ and compact camera macro/close-ups just aren't as good..

15. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    :biggrin: From the little time I have spent on Pentaxforums, it would seem that there has been a "Pentax FF launch just around the corner" rumor has been popping up since about 2004?

16. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I'll wait for Fujifilm to launch a full frame X100. I'm guessing 5 years? 10?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    You know, I think that'd be a good way to differentiate the X200 from the X-pro line, rather than just putting in the X-pro sensor with a fixed lens. After all if their roadmap is to be believed they will release a 23mm f2.0 X lens in 2013, so a X200 would be difficult to market when you can buy an X-pro1 + 23mm that does the same thing and is more flexible. There's the price obviously, but that's not that much of a difference to me. While a FF X200...I'd be in the market for that, and some people would buy them both (X200 + X-pro1).

I don't see them developing a new FF sensor just for the X200, but if they can buy it from Sony (like the 24mp of the rumored D600 / A99) that'd make a really interesting upgrade to the X100.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Goodness. Does this mean I can use all my legacy Nikkor F glass: 28mm f 2.8, 35mm f 1.4, 50mm f 1.2, 50mm macro f 3.5, 105mm and 135mm that I have hung on to for 18 years? If so, it will be my next camera too, all 850gms notwithstanding.

19. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Yip :cool:

Sent from another Galaxy

20. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand the interest in the D600. But if it's anything close to the size of Nikon's other full-frame cameras - and even its high-end APS-C cameras - I'll pass. I briefly had a D200. A solid, great camera but it was like handling a boat anchor, at least for me.