My wife went to New York

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by damianmkv, Feb 18, 2016.

1. damianmkv

damianmkv SC Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Last year, my wife had a call from a friend who needed to "get away" so said she'd booked to go to NYC for a week. She lives in Australia so that's some get away needed :) anyway, my wife and her friends thought when a friend is in need, we'll answer and booked up.

Now my wife isn't interested in photography at all but wanted to capture the memories with a small camera so I bought her a rx100 m2. Until the morning of the trip, she'd never even looked at it ( nothing like last minute )...anyway, below are a few snaps of the cityscape that is New York

From the Rockefeller

[​IMG]view from the rock by damianmkv, on Flickr

[​IMG]new york city at dusk by damianmkv, on Flickr

Trip to Staten island

[​IMG]one world trade center ( explored ) by damianmkv, on Flickr

[​IMG]statue of liberty by damianmkv, on Flickr

[​IMG]one world trade center by damianmkv, on Flickr

From the Empire State Building

[​IMG]golden delicious by damianmkv, on Flickr

[​IMG]new york city by damianmkv, on Flickr

And a 2 shot stitch

[​IMG]bright lights of the big city by damianmkv, on Flickr

I might as well give up on photography :) My wife has done a cracking job ( she knows I'm a sucker for cityscapes which is why she took these ) and the rx100 was amazing
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    A very nice set. I bought my RX100 mk 1 specifically for a trip to New York and took a few of those same images with it. I don't think I could have made a better choice of camera at the time.

3. taqtaq

taqtaq SC Regular

May 31, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    This is great! I must show this to my better half, who doesn't like taking photos because cameras are too hard ;)
  4. damianmkv

damianmkv SC Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    i'm pretty sure my wife left the camera in auto it can be done
  5. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    She did a fantastic job! A natural talent or she looked better at your photos than you thought or both.
    Even a panorama shot. So clearly sha also talent to quickly use a camera.
  6. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    You can do a lot worse than leave an RX100 in iAuto mode all the time. I'm trying to get into the habit of using Aperture Priority mode in sunny weather, just so that I can stop highlights blowing out by reducing the exposure by 0.7EV. I find that helps.

Apart from that, the RX100 generally does a pretty good job of focussing and exposing all on its own.

7. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Very nice. You should reward her efforts by taking her for a nice dinner.
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very nice! Did you do any post processing work with them or is this how they came out of the camera?

9. damianmkv

damianmkv SC Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    the ones with the river have had a LR action applied - cant recall which one but they were quite flat SOOC as she was shooting through the boats's windows. "golden delicious" and " new york city" had a bit of a clarity boost

Then just some straightening and cropping
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Your wife definitely has an eye for photography!

My wife is not interested in photography, but every time she picks up a camera she takes some beautiful shots. It's a natural talent and I feel a bit jealous sometimes.
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Wow, she deserves congratulations. Clearly she has a really good eye for it. The RX100 was good... But she was better :)