My X100S died!

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by philipcs, Apr 21, 2015.

1. philipcs

philipcs SC Regular

Jul 17, 2013
    My X100s is now dead.
    After turn on, it only showing this OPT: ELE:
    Cannot do anything, even turn off also cannot.
    Only can remove battery to turn off.
    I have even reset the settings in Menu but no improvement.

My Firmware ver is 1.20

Anyone have this problem before? I tried to Google but didnt get any relevant result :(

16943733780_562d9a0600_c. Fujifilm X100s Failure OPT: ELE: by philipcs, on Flickr

2. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Sounds like a major malfunction. I would send it off the Fuji. Hopefully still under warranty.

3. philipcs

philipcs SC Regular

Jul 17, 2013
    There is no more warranty. :(

4. Kin Lau

Kin Lau SC Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Stick it in a container of rice for a day or two to suck out all the moisture. Certainly could not hurt.

5. philipcs

philipcs SC Regular

Jul 17, 2013
    Issue resolved by service center. They use their in house system to perform software reset. This reset is different from the reset in camera menu, sound like low level reset. Now ok and FOC even no more warranty.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. philipcs

philipcs SC Regular

Jul 17, 2013
    I just found out after the powerful reset by service center, the shutter count also set to 00 now :)

7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    This is a very good result! Glad to hear it.

8. Jan

Jan New to SC

Saturday
    @philipsc

Same happened to me last week: the battery ran empty faster than normal and then the camera stopped working. Reloaded the battery but this didn't help. Inserted a new battery and the display showed opt: and ele:. Apart from the display nothing else worked and the camera could only be 'switched off' by removing the battery. Fuji Europe said they had never heard of this issue before and to be quite frank your post is the only one I found on the net so it must be something quite rare. Could you give me the details of the service centre that helped you? Perhaps they can tell me how they fixed your camera so I can advise my service centre here in The Netherlands to do the same. (I don't mind the camera being reset as long as I get my 'baby' back in working condition.)

Best regards,

Jan

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    So it's new camera now!

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    Resale value just went up... :biggrin:

11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The post you are referring to is from over two years ago....and I don't think that user is active here anymore.

I wish you luck in resolving your issue, but I wouldn't wait around for a response from him.

I'd look for a contact for Fuji customer service in Europe....and I would also post a message in a couple other Fuji-related websites.

And please share any experience you have back here so we can be assured that Fuji offers good service for the wonderful cameras. No one expects modern electronics to work forever, but knowing that a company works with customers through unforseen problems for reasonable fees should be how it is handled....and if it is (or isn't) should be shared common knowledge.

Good luck!

12. Jan

Jan New to SC

Saturday
    Will do, thanks.

13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    :rofl: I love it when this happens.