Nashville at Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Djarum, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Nice shots, Jason. One of my favorite cities I've ever been. Your "heavy PP" looks like SOOC to me. we all clearly have different definitions of heavy.

3. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    great stuff. the blue building and bridge are outstanding.

4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Some of the shots here are so heavily processed that they look more like paintings to me than photographs (which I have to assume is intentional, and it's not a knock). These are nowhere near that.

5. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Thanks Luke.

But isn't that the trick, though, to make them look OOC?? LOL. The two cityscape shots and bridge were stacked exposures. I wish my E-PL2 had that much dynamic range. The others had some perspective correction, noise reduction, and cropping thrown in.

6. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    There are elevators on both sides of the pedestrian bridge. The elevator shafts are glass or something and they light them up with LEDs and rotate through a bunch of colors. I thought they were cool.

7. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Could you be more specific? The only shot I think I need to still work on is the 3rd. It does look a tad painterly. Some of that is due to that it was a longish exposure. The issue I have with doing night shots is that if I expose for the buildings, the lighted signs and lights get blown out. If I expose for the signs, the buildings are dark. This is 3 stacked 0, +2, and -2 EV shots.

To maybe answer your question, I wasn't trying to be painterly with these images. Only 3 of these images were stacked. The rest were OOC with some cropping, perspective correction, and noise reduction. I didn't even play with the colors or curves because they were pretty spot on OOC. Any suggestions on how to make them not look painterly?

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Jason, I read KillRamseys comment the same way as you at first. When he says some of them here, i'm 99% sure he means here on this forum. Read this line..... "These are nowhere near that"

9. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Bingo. Sorry.

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    My favourite is the shot looking straight down the through the bridge. Awesome!

11. Neiltluck

Neiltluck SC Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Derbyshire, England
    Neil Luck
    Wow these are fantastic. The clarity is just superb

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

12. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Ok, I guess I was just confused by the post(I often am).

13. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
  14. NathanJ

NathanJ SC Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    The two bridge shots I really like..... some great lighting to work with.

15. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Thanks everyone. Just a few more:

P7272779_stack.

P7272746_stack2.

Kinda noisy(ISO 1600), but I like it. I may make it B&W. The state Capitol building is up to the back with the purple lighting.

P7272821s.JPG

16. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Love the bridge shots especially. And that blue cube room