ND filter- how many stops?

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by Adub, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Adub

Adub New to SC

Dec 28, 2013
    Hello,

I purchased the RX1 and the plan is to shoot it wide open the majority of the time. Curious if a 3 stop ND is enough when at ISO 100 while in the direct sun on the water, white sand, etc?

Thinking the 6 stop may be a better idea as I could always bump up the ISO if need be? Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    a 3 stop is rarely not enough. Cameras that have built-in ND filters have 3 stoppers. When I use my X100 at f2, the built-in ND filter has always been strong enough, but if you're often in blinding light situations like snow or white sand, you may be better served by something with more light-stopping power.

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I just had a look at the RX1 specs, max shutter speed is 1/4000. In this case, a 3-stop ND filter is advisable when in bright midday sunlight. I've never needed 6 stops of filter though, that's quite a hell of a lot of filtering for me even though I'm shooting wide open at f/1.1.

If you had a camera that had a max shutter speed of 1/8000 you'll probably only need maybe 1-2 stops.

But like Luke said, you may need more if you're in blinding light situations. I assume those sorts of situations are rare but you did mention sun-on-water and white sand.

4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Not forgetting that higher values are extremely useful for long exposure shots - eg 12 - 16

5. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Or just get a variable ND filter, that'll cover you for any and every situation.

6. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf SC Top Veteran

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    I've been using a 3 stop ND for the last year on my camera with lowest ISO of 160 and max shutter speed of 1/4000 and there's only been a couple times I needed more.

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I bought a high quality 3 stopper and a cheapo variable for special effects.

8. Adub

Adub New to SC

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks all for the input

9. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Adub

It may be expensive but I really can recommend the Lee RF 75 filter system for the RX1. I use it for most of my landscape work. There is a ten-stop 'Big Stopper' which I particularly like to use to create creamy clouds or smooth water flows. I also use ND grads as well to balance the ev difference between skies and foreground.

LouisB