Necessity is the mother of invention

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Do any of these look familiar to you?

G12_gater_fz200_006_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G12_gater_fz200_005_Medium_.JPG

G12_gater_fz200_003_Medium_.JPG

No?

Here's a hint: think feet.

What you are looking at is a gaiter, that funky cloth thing that hikers and mountaineers wrap about the top of their boots to keep snow and scree from getting into their boots. Inside the gaiter is my trusty FZ200.

Currently it is snowing to beat the band here at El Rancho Elliott in upstate NY. I was researching ways to protect my cameras from the snow when I came across Vortex Storm Jacket camera covers. That looks vaguely familiar, I thought.

Then it hit me: those storm covers look very much like my gaiters! The gaiters have a wide end (for going around the top of the boot) and a narrow end (for wrapping around the shin) and both ends have elastic . . . and a velcro closure

So I wrapped the narrow around the lens and the wide end around the camera body and went outside. It worked perfectly!

Below are some pix taken in the heart of the storm (Shackleton, eat your heart out!)

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_006_Medium_.JPG

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_005_Medium_.JPG

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_004_Medium_.JPG

From now on, when I'm not using them on my feet, I'm going to keep a gaiter in each of my camera pouches.

Cheers, Jock

very clever re-purposing, Jocko. I love going photographing in the snow. I think I'd like these better in b/w to hide the chroma noise.

Luke,

I tried converting to B&W:

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_006_Medium_-001.JPG

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_005_Medium_-001.JPG

FZ200_winter_storm_gater_004_Medium_-001.JPG

(All of them are starting to look like Tri-X that has been pushed, very, very hard.)

Cheers, Jock

the contrast is pretty intense. I think it works best on the first one. It's all personal taste of course, but I might dial back the blacks on the 2nd and 3rd. Imagine being outside in a snowstorm. I'll bet the human eye doesn't even register a true black. I definitely prefer them in B/W.

the contrast is pretty intense. I think it works best on the first one. It's all personal taste of course, but I might dial back the blacks on the 2nd and 3rd. Imagine being outside in a snowstorm. I'll bet the human eye doesn't even register a true black. I definitely prefer them in B/W.

I agree; the bottom two are definitely over the top.

Cheers, Jock

Back