Sony Need help deciding..RX100 or new release??

After many months of consideration and waiting for the price to drop, I've finally pulled the trigger on an original RX100. Sony are currently offering a free case with the RX100 (their two-part leather type case), so that's £405 for camera + case from Amazon, which I couldn't resist. I've also ordered a couple of 16GB memory cards and a second battery, so hopefully that's everything I need to get going.

-R

Great decision, the freebie leather case is worth its weight in gold itself. I would also consider getting a Eye Fi card to add wifi capability to the camera. Comes in handy when I don't wish to deal with cables etc.

After many months of consideration and waiting for the price to drop, I've finally pulled the trigger on an original RX100. Sony are currently offering a free case with the RX100 (their two-part leather type case), so that's £405 for camera + case from Amazon, which I couldn't resist. I've also ordered a couple of 16GB memory cards and a second battery, so hopefully that's everything I need to get going.

-R
Bah, I didn't see that when I ordered mine from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. But I wanted a case I could clip on my belt so maybe this particular spilled milk is definitely not worth crying over :)

Actually it was an Amazon third party price of £399 which caught my eye yesterday, but then I noticed that the case came free if I purchased from Amazon themselves - so that's an additional £6 for the case and I suppose a bit more peace of mind regarding the source of the goods and the warranty situation.

I was planning to buy a little case for my belt too, and I may still do that depending how I get on with the Sony case. I know some people just use the lower part of the Sony case to add a bit more grip to what is otherwise a very slippery body, so I may take that approach too.

-R

Well....my slightly cheaper buy from Amazon turned out to be highly suspicious. The box was not sealed and there was no warranty leaflet. I contacted Amazon who said straight away "we will provide a 1 year warranty but you can return it for a full refund". The seller (Index Electronics) said "maybe the manufacture (sic) left it out". Hmmm... it's gone back to Amazon this morning. Which means I can actually get the free case if I buy it again, or I might use my discount code and get it direct from Sony albeit without the case. I've ordered the AG-R1 grip, and I don't think that would fit in the leather case would it?

A quick Google search turned up this response on a Sony forum. This is actually talking about the Mark II camera and case, but I expect the same applies to the original model:

The AG-R1 grip will add an extra 13mm of thickness to the DSC-RX100M2. You cannot fit the camera and the grip into the LCJ-RXC/B. However, you can opt to get both accessories and detach the grip whenever you will be using the camera and the case. The grip can easily be attached back to the camera using double-sided tape.

Meanwhile, because Amazon are shipping my order piecemeal, I am now the proud owner of an RX100 spare battery. The case is due shortly, followed by the camera and memory cards.

-R

Well....my slightly cheaper buy from Amazon turned out to be highly suspicious. The box was not sealed and there was no warranty leaflet. I contacted Amazon who said straight away "we will provide a 1 year warranty but you can return it for a full refund". The seller (Index Electronics) said "maybe the manufacture (sic) left it out". Hmmm... it's gone back to Amazon this morning. Which means I can actually get the free case if I buy it again, or I might use my discount code and get it direct from Sony albeit without the case. I've ordered the AG-R1 grip, and I don't think that would fit in the leather case would it?

None of the Sony boxes I've seen were sealed, for what it's worth.

A quick Google search turned up this response on a Sony forum. This is actually talking about the Mark II camera and case, but I expect the same applies to the original model:

The AG-R1 grip will add an extra 13mm of thickness to the DSC-RX100M2. You cannot fit the camera and the grip into the LCJ-RXC/B. However, you can opt to get both accessories and detach the grip whenever you will be using the camera and the case. The grip can easily be attached back to the camera using double-sided tape.

Meanwhile, because Amazon are shipping my order piecemeal, I am now the proud owner of an RX100 spare battery. The case is due shortly, followed by the camera and memory cards.

-R
Thanks for the info, I'll leave the leather case then. I now (having sent back the camera) have a spare battery, a soft case and a screen protector to play with :)

Back