Fuji Need the last nudge before purchase. How happy are you with your X-E1 ??

What I liked about them in particular is that they are a perfect examples of the travel/documentary style of photography that I would love to do more of. They definitely put the X-E1 on my radar, although obviously the camera's role is secondary by a long way compared to the subject material.

I like travel / documentary stuff too. The zoom is obviously very, very good. I prefer primes, but that's about approach rather than any criticism of the tool.

Off topic, but you might like Magdalena Sole's work. She uses a very serious compact, so it's suitable for the forum. I feel the Mississippi stuff is excellent. Composition is beautiful. But its all good. Have a look:

Magdalena Sole

Update !!!!

Ok guys, you've all be super helpful so here's the update (yes, already).

I first decided to go pick up the gear today. Then I stepped out, and was greeted by the worst and most ominous weather : cold, dark, rainy, super windy. Yikes. I'm NOT going to Paris on such a day. So I called the seller, geez photographers can be weird sometimes. The guy has bought the camera two months ago in a brick and mortar, registered it for extended warranty with FUji France and... not shot a single picture with it (WTF) ?!?!

He also bought a 35/1.4 in June, updated the firmware and also NOT used it (re WTF). Guys sounded genuine, if only a little peculiar.

The one of my excellent and close friend (not heard in a long time though, life keeps getting in the way) calls me and we talk at lengths about his FUji cameras (he has them all, X100, Pro, XE). He bought the XE in kit to have the zoom, and has never brought himself to part with the (hardly used) body. Then during the discussion I realize said body is BLACK !! And he needs to sell it !!
So, he's sending me the X100 he has little use for tomorrow. Then I can shoot it for a few days and get an impression of the dreaded FUji AF, lol.
After I decide if the overall Fuji Xperience cuts if for me (it certainly does with my X10), I can ship his X100 back and snatch his XE for a very fair price (he's sold stuff to me before and always at very friendly rates).

I'm happy :)

I have been using the X-Pro - Maybe constantly and longest out of anyone I know. Shooting in many different countries and situations. Weddings, client shoots and even cover shots for Photo Pro Magazine in the the UK -

There is a mix of studio / location / commercial / client / fashion. I have pretty much shot everything in the last 10 months with the FUJI -

Fashion + Art + Commercial

I should really do a full review of the camera looking at all the stuff in detail

photopro-cover.jpg

I have been using the X-Pro - Maybe constantly and longest out of anyone I know. Shooting in many different countries and situations. Weddings, client shoots and even cover shots for Photo Pro Magazine in the the UK -

There is a mix of studio / location / commercial / client / fashion. I have pretty much shot everything in the last 10 months with the FUJI -

I should really do a full review of the camera looking at all the stuff in detail

View attachment 5261

Wow, wow, and triple wow. But obviously the resulting images go wayyyyy beyond any capability of the camera. None of that would have been possible with a fantastic photographer !

View attachment 5261

Those images are stunning.

These are very, very good. I was born there and it really captures it.

Phew, they're more than good, they're amazing !!
She deliberately gives up a lot of aesthetics for genuineness, and THAT takes a lot of guts. It is SOoo easy to make poetic, good looking, complacent images in that type of environment and she does not fall in that trap. Her images are POWERFUL in their crude, simple, raw reality. I haven't been touched by pictures that way in a long time. Come to thing of it, maybe never.

I like travel / documentary stuff too. The zoom is obviously very, very good. I prefer primes, but that's about approach rather than any criticism of the tool.

Off topic, but you might like Magdalena Sole's work. She uses a very serious compact, so it's suitable for the forum. I feel the Mississippi stuff is excellent. Composition is beautiful. But its all good. Have a look:

Magdalena Sole

Fascinating that the images she captured in those locations are such a long way from what one might consider to be traditional travel photography; very raw and with plenty of feeling. I also really liked the Mississippi set, and Brazil as well.

So what sort of VERY serious compact does she use? A leica? If you say she's using a Canon S90 or an RX100 or something, I may just sell everything I own for one small camera.

No, I wouldn't - I like the variety too much. But I have to say that the vast majority of my best photographs have been taken walking around with one camera and one prime lens, somewhere in the 24-35mm range. Maybe a few UWA and a few longer portrait length shots, but the vast majority in that semi-wide to wide range with no options. I enjoy the wider and longer options, but I'll be damned if I really need them...

-Ray

Yes Ray, I checked her out a bit and she seems to use a M8 and M9. Not too shabby, heh. But truly, you can give me all the cameras in the world, the most expensive, most exotic ones, I'll never be able to shoot what she does. Because I'll make "prettier" pictures. I wouldn't be able to let go of beauty for the sake for it, to find real TRUTH the way she does. There's nothing pretty in the Delta Rising series, just raw, crude poverty and "no future" environment. Forgotten place and people, sentenced to lifelong nothingness, yet a vibrancy, a LIFE. Her images are beautiful from the power they convey, precisely because she has accepted to show things exactly as they are with none of the aesthetic crutches (shallow DOF, dramatic tones, fleeting perspective) I would instinctively use, given the same subject.

So what sort of VERY serious compact does she use? A leica? If you say she's using a Canon S90 or an RX100 or something, I may just sell everything I own for one small camera.

No, I wouldn't - I like the variety too much. But I have to say that the vast majority of my best photographs have been taken walking around with one camera and one prime lens, somewhere in the 24-35mm range. Maybe a few UWA and a few longer portrait length shots, but the vast majority in that semi-wide to wide range with no options. I enjoy the wider and longer options, but I'll be damned if I really need them...

-Ray

Yes, as nianys has noted,a Leica. I was a bit tongue-in-cheek about the serious thing.

I love both the composition and subject matter in her work.

My experience is similar to yours - a lot of the stuff I have shot, and like, is a one lens experience. Though I generally currently prefer a bit longer than you, more like 35-50.

Back