1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Neil Armstrong

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Gary, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    God Bless you Neil Armstrong, Rest In Peace.

GRA20059.

• Like Like x 7
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I was born almost 20 years after the moon landings, but still I'm sad to read of the passing away of such a great man. It was one of the greatest single achievements of mankind and he played a crucial role in it. I read that his heart rate during the lunar landing was 156bpm, which says a lot about how calm and collected he must've been.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you for posting this, Gary - and for your beautiful tribute.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    He was a Navy aviator, a combat pilot, ice water ran through his viens. He aborted the initial landing site due to the rough terrain and hunted for a better location. The entire world held our collective breaths, it was a special time for all of us.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Heros are made not born ... and unfortunately the ingredients don't come together very often.

Gary

PS- He was a Boilermaker (Bachelors) and a Trojan (Masters), the best from the Midwest and the West.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    A great man who inspired me, though I didn't know it at the time.
    Edit: Had the chance to look up and capture the moon tonight. Not a great shot, but perhaps a special one taken on this day. 5c28fdd6-88ef-1d3f.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  8. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    I understand he went straight to the camp bar for a beer and a ciggie. One of the other astro's rushed in and said something like "Jeez, just heard you crashed and was almost killed" Armstrong took a drag on his ciggie and just said "Yup"

In the UK we were allowed to stay up in the wee small hours to watch this momentous event, God, it was a fantastic day. Will never, ever forget it.

9. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    I moved to London in 1969 to start a new job, I watched the landing all night in the flat upstairs. It was an event that I will never forget. What still amazes me is that these brave astronauts flew to the moon and back with less computing power than my mobile phone. Armstrong was certainly the right stuff. RIP.

• Like Like x 1