Netherlands -7C

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    How about where you live?
    I hate winter, I'm longing for summer!
    And you?

I do look forward for replies, thanks in advance!

Best regards, Herman

• Like Like x 1
  2. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Herman - are the canals frozen?

• Like Like x 1
  3. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    • Like Like x 2
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Bill, if I may answer for Herman, they most certainly are! I've been on the ice today, it was busy with loads of people skating :smile: and it was especially nice to see families with parents teaching 4 or 5 year olds how to skate... good to know at least one more generation will have memories of the favorite winter pastime of the Dutch :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I lived in Holland in 1979 for two years - if I remember there is a famous canal race - is it 10 canals or similar? - only possible in very cold years

• Like Like x 1
  6. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Good to hear from you, Herman. Nice to have you back. It's about 26C here in Puerto Rico. I would say 20C is about as cold as it would get here, and that would be in the mountain towns, not on the coast.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  7. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    That´s the "Elfstedentocht" (Eleven City Tour), a 200km tour on natural ice in the Northern province Friesland. It's pretty rare (the last one was in 1997), and when it happens, it's second only to a Football World Cup final in terms of national excitement and pride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Today was the first day snowing in Paris, but now most of it has melted (it's about midnight when I'm writing this). Temperatures have gone from 0°C to -5°C in the last few days. Cold but definitely bearable. I hope you're doing well pictogramax!

• Like Like x 1
  9. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Love winter! I'm a winter guy. In recent years we have had a few 40c days and they're just unbearable.

PS. I've only seen snow once.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Actually the only thing I really like about summer are the long daylight hours. It's 9pm and it's still light around here in the middle of summer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    We're fine, Julien, thanks! Here it resembles Paris from two years ago; I was there in December 2010, just when that grand snow hit your capital. I still remember waiting for seven hours in check-in area of CHDG for our plane to get the clearance to lift off:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Hi Herman. Good to have you around again.

Here in Tbilisi we got down to -11 (celsius) a couple of nights ago. Just starting to warm up again. About -1 today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks for the replies. Right now we blue skies and sunshine, wow! But still -8C, brr cold.