1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Book on Bruce Munro, the "Artist in Light"

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by entropic remnants, Sep 18, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Bruce Munro creates intriguing sculptures from fiber optics, different light sources, "found objects" such as plastic drink bottles and really about anything he can think of. He had an installation at Longwood Gardens (botanical garden in my town) that I photographed. Sometimes his installations cover acres of ground.

One of my photos from the installation was selected for the book which was just published.

http://www.seahillpress.com/books/art/catching-the-light-hard-cover/

Bruce's Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/brucemunrostudio

2. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    Which one is your picture?

3. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! NONE of the ones shown on the site. I haven't got my copy of the book yet (though the contacted me yesterday and said it was on it's way) and I don't have any idea where they put it, how large, or anything.

When I get the book I'll photograph the spread where my photo is. Watch it be like a thumbnail, lol.

4. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    Did you get paid?

5. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Not a lot -- about $50.

But I retain what rights I can have to the image. The thing is, since it's an image of another persons artwork, I can't make and sell prints of it anyway so it's kind of moot. On the other hand, they aren't allowed to use it for anything but promotional work and in the book -- they can't sell the image separately... although I can't imagine either why they'd want to, lol.

6. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Well, the book is out and they sent me my own hardback copy -- thanks Sea Hill Press!

Here's the cover:

9942222033_e03d3f3f9d_b.
    Published in a Book about Artist Bruce Munro by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Here's the page with my shot (left side) -- I was thrilled to see I got a whole page.

9942128754_a544b198c6_b.

Only 8 photographers participated including "staff" photographers so I'm delighted that I got in. Even Bruce Munro himself only contributed two shots, lol. I got one but it make me happy.

9942128364_7a41e3e9a2_b.

Here's the original shot they used:

7356049160_1f37d6a1ca_b.
    The Bruce Munro Installation "Light" at Longwood Gardens by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  7. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Very Cool!
    Looks like a great book.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!! :clapping::drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. NathanJ

NathanJ SC Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    Great stuff. Well done, excellent shot. I think I I ever got just one shot published I could happily retire my camera!

• Like Like x 1