New forum user titles and avatar requirement

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    A couple changes around here, mostly for fun. Here's the new user title breakdown by # of forum posts:

User Title (Minimum Posts)
    • New to S.C. (0)
    • S.C. Rookie (10)
    • S.C. Regular (25)
    • S.C. Veteran (200)
    • S.C. Top Veteran (500)
    • S.C. All-Pro* (1000)
    • S.C. Hall of Famer* (2000)
    • S.C. Legend* (5000)

*Can use custom user title set here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/profile.php?do=editprofile

Avatars are now reserved for members with 100 or more posts and donors. If anyone sees a member asking why they can't upload an avatar, please help spread the word about this new requirement.

The other change made is that donors now have a separate designation of "Donor" listed under their user title rather than a single designation of "Site Supporter" replacing their user title.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    The use of the word 'donor' reminds me of when I used to work in human tissue donation, particularly brain donation for medical and scientific research. I would liaise with donors, clinicians, and researchers, and help facilitate the brain tissue donation process. Sometimes donors would prepare years in advance, it could be because they may have lost a loved on to a neurological disease and they want to donate their brain when they die to help scientists find a cure. Others, with the help of next-of-kin, decide to donate their brain tissue when their time is almost up, after having suffered from an extended ailment. Every donor I have had the pleasure of communicating with have had their own reason for being, and reason for donating.

On a much lighter note, on one occasion the head professor in charge of the tissue donation program had been on the phone organising a very important brain donation (important for reasons I will not go into here).

After the long phone call with personnel involved in the process, he ran into our office yelling: "I've got a brain donor!"

Except he didn't actually yell "I've got a brain donor!", because in his excitement what came out of his mouth before he could stop himself was: "I've got a boner!"

All hell broke loose in the office, some of us were rolling on the floor laughing, others tried very hard to maintain a straight face. The prof walked out, red-faced and with a sheepish grin.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I've always been uncomfortable with "Site Supporter" because donors aren't the only ones who support the site. Now you've made me uncomfortable with "Donor". Thanks a lot, James :rofl:.

4. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Welcome to my twisted world.

Speaking of boners, I've just made a small donation to the site via Paypal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I made one a couple years back, but my donor is not showing. No big deal.....just letting you know.

6. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I know what you really mean in your Freudian slip, Luke. Cos there's no 'e' in donor.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    It's because you're a moderator now. Moderators donate more than money to the site so adding the donor label doesn't seem right. It's also the reason that I don't accept donations on either site from moderators on either site.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That reminds me of a pretty funny joke, but I can't really repeat it here. Partly because I can't quite remember all of it and partly because it's rude.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Jolly decent of you, thanks.

10. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Ooo err, just seen myself as a Hall of Famer! I keep reading it as farmer :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    the grammar! the grammar!

• Like Like x 3
  12. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Even the newspapers get it wrong nowadays. My father in law was a compositor at the Daily Mail for 40 years using "hot metal". He was a rough and ready South Londoner but he knew his grammar :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Nice thing is as a Hall of Famer, you can change our to anything you like ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes :)snigger:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Paul, I tip my cap to you. It was the first thing that popped into my mind (It helps that it's empty most of the time).

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I often imagine tumbleweeds blowing across the desolate landscape of your psyche

17. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I may try to capture that in a photograph

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    So, it is a feature and not a bug. I was just confused by the disappearing avatar.

19. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Lol. I don't care too much for the word donor, but I can't think of anything better. Ever though about using icons instead?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Something like that :smile: