Ricoh New GR Apparently

When I'm on assignment, I backup the morning's photos at lunch to my iPad via an SD card reader and then pick one or two to post online for family, friends, and readers. While serviceable, I can lose the dongle (done that before) and the process slows down when the card fills up. I've tried Eye-Fi cards and they've been notoriously unreliable.

Hmm, had not really thought about this aspect of things, but yes... it could make things a lot easier (I have no idea where my SD card ipad dongly thing is, right now)

This seems like that 'second GR' iteration that always comes out before the next model's big jump. It's the same level of difference we saw between the GRD and II, and the III and the IV.

GRD -> II: same lens and sensor, better performance
II -> III: new lens and sensor, better performance overall
III -> IV: same lens and sensor at the III, better performance and more modes, return of the CDAF sensor
IV -> GR: entirely new camera with aps-c sensor, lens and processor. The design remained, the menu was made much more tidy.
GR -> II: same lens, same sensor. Back to the cycle again.

Here's hoping that the III is the next big jump.

Nice one Archiver,

While the GR and GR II are in another class, IMO the real sleeper of this lot is the GRD III.
The images from my GRD III were tack sharp and had a rendering and quality that dropped a bit with the IV.
The GRD III is a bit less sought after than the GRD IV and I have also heard a few operational complaints about the way the GRD IV operates. It never bugged me.
I think the GRD III is the pick of the GRDs. But thats just me.

It could have just been my sample, but I also found that my GRD II was quite mediocre.
But I've seen some very nice GRD II output on Flickr so again maybe the luck of the draw.

Despite having seen the original GRD in shops and at a camera show, the first I bought was the GRD III in 2009. It hooked me instantly and went with me everywhere, no matter what other camera I was using at the time. The impetus was the desire for 'the ultimate street camera' which could slip into a pocket, be ready at a moment's notice, and disappear when done.

One day I was walking through the City and saw a couple getting married, the bride with a long, flowing train and two bridesmaids helping her carry it to the limousine. It had been raining, so all of my gear was snapped shut inside my bag - how I wished I had a camera in my pocket at that moment! That was the final straw that lead me to buy a GRD III. It wasn't until mid 2013 that I replaced it with the GR, that's how much I liked it.

The brown leather case looks a nice accessory

PENTAX・RICOHのカメラ、レンズ、双眼鏡を販売するオフィシャルストア | RICOH IMAGING

main-visual.png

I'm interested in seeing what it is they update/improve. While I've never used one, from all that I've read the only two real 'issues' with the camera are dust getting onto the sensor and poor white balance. I suppose they'll also add WiFi and probably increase AF speed, but other than that, the GR seemed just about perfect for its intended market.
The dust issue is less of an issue if the camera is not kept in a pocket. Keeping a retractable lens camera in a pocket is the perfect storm for introducing dust unto the sensor. I've had a GR APS-C for two years, use it strictly outdoors, and have no dust. I keep the camera in a zippered bag.

The dust issue is less of an issue if the camera is not kept in a pocket. Keeping a retractable lens camera in a pocket is the perfect storm for introducing dust unto the sensor. I've had a GR APS-C for two years, use it strictly outdoors, and have no dust. I keep the camera in a zippered bag.

I have bags small and large for all my cameras. Pocketable is useless when your pockets are full of lint like mine :) If my GRD3 isnt in its little baggie, its on a wrist loop and in my hand.

Of course it can be avoided, but much of the appeal of the GR to me is the fact that it offers outstanding image quality and can fit in my pocket... Good design is about finding solutions, not telling people to change behaviour. Dust is the only issue I've had with the GR in real world use, and it's only getting worse with time.

Anyhoo, I see the GR II as more of a major firmware upgrade than a truly new model. Which is fine, it's still the best camera on the market for its intended function.

Of course it can be avoided, but much of the appeal of the GR to me is the fact that it offers outstanding image quality and can fit in my pocket... Good design is about finding solutions, not telling people to change behaviour. Dust is the only issue I've had with the GR in real world use, and it's only getting worse with time.

Anyhoo, I see the GR II as more of a major firmware upgrade than a truly new model. Which is fine, it's still the best camera on the market for its intended function.
One of them anyway...

-Ray

What are the other ones? AFAIK the Coolpix A is discontinued so it can no longer be considered "on the market". Not aware of any other pocketable APS-C sensor cameras. I like the X100T, but it's not in the same league when it comes to fitting in a pocket.

I can't fault the current version of the GR so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. This is the camera I take with me most of the time that I am 'wandering' about. One of the best camera products on the market today which for newcomers just got a little bit better.

LouisB

What are the other ones? AFAIK the Coolpix A is discontinued so it can no longer be considered "on the market". Not aware of any other pocketable APS-C sensor cameras. I like the X100T, but it's not in the same league when it comes to fitting in a pocket.
I'm not sure the Coolpix A is dead. It may be - some sellers list it as discontinued - but they're still really easily available and Nikon isn't calling it discontinued. There have been enough rumors of a new version that I'm just not sure. I'm sure they knew Ricoh's history of minor facelifts every two years with big updates every four and probably didn't feel any time pressure to compete with the GR II - they can just keep trickling out the old version at $400-500 for a while and then release a new model when it's good and ready.

For sure, some of the rumors make it sound like Nikon may be moving to something with the 1" chip - we'll just have to wait and see. You obviously might be right that it's dead. But given the really minor changes to the GR II and the easy availability of the Coolpix A, I'd still consider it a worthy alternative...

-Ray

Back