Ricoh New GR Apparently

I'm not sure the Coolpix A is dead. It may be - some sellers list it as discontinued - but they're still really easily available and Nikon isn't calling it discontinued. There have been enough rumors of a new version that I'm just not sure. I'm sure they knew Ricoh's history of minor facelifts every two years with big updates every four and probably didn't feel any time pressure to compete with the GR II - they can just keep trickling out the old version at $400-500 for a while and then release a new model when it's good and ready.

For sure, some of the rumors make it sound like Nikon may be moving to something with the 1" chip - we'll just have to wait and see. You obviously might be right that it's dead. But given the really minor changes to the GR II and the easy availability of the Coolpix A, I'd still consider it a worthy alternative...

-Ray

Its not dead over here. Still being sold new albeit a lower price than when released.

Even if Nikon were to release a Coolpix A II at 24Mpixel I still consider the original 16Mpixel a superb instrument.
The file sizes would be smaller, and likely the lower res sensor better at lower light.
I can recall when the 24Mp Sony Nex7 came out many complained that the 16Mp Nex5 IQ was better.

It was not that long ago we were using the GRD IV and its minuscule sensor.
I am still in awe of the sensor size, lens quality and IQ from both the GR and A.
Nikon were about to get my money on a Coolpix A and then the GR was just announced.

Last edited:
I am quite disappointed that the Australian price is AU$950 which while inline with the US price of about $695 with the current exchange rate but it is still $100 more than the GR when it was first released. I bet the price won't shift if the exchange rate gets better.
Right now as much as I am hankering for one, I can't quite justify the price over my existing GR.
Time to wait it out and save up a few buckazoids.

I am quite disappointed that the Australian price is AU$950 which while inline with the US price of about $695 with the current exchange rate but it is still $100 more than the GR when it was first released. I bet the price won't shift if the exchange rate gets better.
Right now as much as I am hankering for one, I can't quite justify the price over my existing GR.
Yeah but that's always the way in Australia isn't it. Btw, Didgidirect are doing it for I think about $880 when it eventually arrives here (they took a deposit off me 4 weeks ago).

Last edited:
I wonder if they sealed off the zoom to avoid dust in the sensor?
I really hope so. Maybe just maybe they have - I mean its not uncommon for technology companies to admit design flaws (preferring instead to "upgrade" a product) is it. If it sounds like I'm being wildly optimistic, it's because I am!

Kennedy's are selling it for $889. They had the GR down to $689 but I wasnt quick enough. Now, not even sure I want it. Here ya go, though if you think that price is a bit better
https://www.pentax.com.au/product/ricoh-gr-ii

Good question Dave. I do indeed have a stick on filter at the front. I also keep it in an old Leica belt case. That said it is not mollycoddled - barely a day passes that I do not carry - and use it. One of those front filters, by the way, saved the lens on my GRDlll when I drove over it... the tough magnesium body did the rest. Only the LCD screen needed replacing and that for less than 60 euros with a full service.
19852423.c6f7bb4a.1024.jpg

Crushed 2
par Lightmancer, on ipernity

It's hardly a design flaw. A weakness maybe.

That's fair enough. I was actually referring to feedback from the Pentax forums from one or two GR users stating that whilst dust is of course an inevitable risk on any compact lens expanding camera, the design by Pentax in that respect could have been better. It was just people's opinion & I should have mentioned that.

Kennedy's are selling it for $889. They had the GR down to $689 but I wasnt quick enough. Now, not even sure I want it. Here ya go, though if you think that price is a bit better
https://www.pentax.com.au/product/ricoh-gr-ii

Thank you for the update. Looks like they dropped it from $950 when I inquired last week.

Its all a bit confusing as I was on their Ricoh shop expecting it to appear there https://www.crkennedy.com.au/ricoh/index.php?q=catalog/1

Seems the GR is more Pentax now than Ricoh?

Thank you for the update. Looks like they dropped it from $950 when I inquired last week.

Its all a bit confusing as I was on their Ricoh shop expecting it to appear there https://www.crkennedy.com.au/ricoh/index.php?q=catalog/1

Seems the GR is more Pentax now than Ricoh?
I don't think its that. Ricoh owns the Pentax brand and camera business, so it makes sense to have it included there. If Ricoh come up with other cameras, expect to see them there, too. I see from your link that the GXR + lenses is available to add to cart but I thought that was discontinued?

I don't think its that. Ricoh owns the Pentax brand and camera business, so it makes sense to have it included there. If Ricoh come up with other cameras, expect to see them there, too. I see from your link that the GXR + lenses is available to add to cart but I thought that was discontinued?

But the GR II is not on their Ricoh store at all.

I think they must have stock of GXR lenses then as they did pull down the Sigma DP1M and DP3 when stock ran out.

The GR II price has now dropped to ~560$ for a new one at amazon.com.
Lightly used GR's start at around 450$.

Any reason to pick the GR II instead of the GR - if you don't care about wifi?

Is there anyone who used both? Any recommendations why one or the other might be a better pick? :)

Thanks Bill! That confirms my "gut feeling" :) Went with a GR from Warehousedeals.
Always wanted to try one. The 28-35-47mm modes always felt like a great setup. And I really like the out-of-camera colours I've seen (and the out-of-camera "non-coulors" :) )
And since I started using the 5MP Olympus E1 I'm not worried about the 5MP crop mode anymore either. :)

Back