Ricoh New GR Report!

Hi Everyone.. I just recieved my GR.... 3 days ago... (instead of X100s) .. however I'm kinda disappointed.. all my color images look smudged, almost cartoonish looking.. not crisp at all.. skin is pasty looking.. is it me? or the characteristics of the camera?.. thinking of exchanging it for the X100s. Images from my GM1 with 14mm 2.5 seems to be much, much better... clearer and sharper.. Your thoughts, help and input much appreciated.. :)
Doug

Hello Mr. Doug,
In situations like this, it is always helpful if you can share some of the images you are describing so we can figure out if your camera is defective or your expectations are defective and you are a 100% pixel peeper. It's certainly possible that you got a dud. But there are thousands of images here on the forum and elsewhere that show the camera in general is a great one. Perhaps if we saw some images, some experienced users cam make some suggestions to get the files looking more like you want them to.

Hello Mr. Doug,
In situations like this, it is always helpful if you can share some of the images you are describing so we can figure out if your camera is defective or your expectations are defective and you are a 100% pixel peeper. It's certainly possible that you got a dud. But there are thousands of images here on the forum and elsewhere that show the camera in general is a great one. Perhaps if we saw some images, some experienced users cam make some suggestions to get the files looking more like you want them to.

Hi Luke.. I got upset with my images from the GR and trashed them.. :) very disappointed here.. but, I will try to take some shots today and post..
Thanks,
Doug..

I agree with Luke, we need to see some samples in order to properly comment.

This little camera is an absolute gem so your experience is at odds with all the posted evidence and it is either out-of-the-box faulty or there is some setting in the camera which is wrong.

BTW, are you shooting RAW or JPEGs?

LouisB

GR user here. The colour profile of this camera takes some getting used to. Especially if you're coming from Canon or Nikon. I also use a Nikon D800e and it requires a lot less work to get the colours I want from it as opposed to the GR. Its not to everyone's taste for sure. But you can learn your way around it if you put in the effort.

I have the GR and it is delivering stunning images, I agree the colour does need a tweak but it is very slight and not that unpleasant.

I agree with all the others, we need to see some of the images you are unhappy with so we can review and try and help identify the issue.

To me..it could be
- u received a bad sample (sample image would help here)
- some weird setting on the gr (try resetting to default)
- photo sw is not processing the gr image correctly, what are u using?

As others have said, a sample image would help a lot.

Good luck
Gary

In terms of smudged detail, do you have a fast enough shutter speed? The camera has no stabilisation built in so you will probably need to shoot faster than you otherwise would. Are you looking at RAW or JPEG? I haven't ever used the ricoh gr JPEG engine so I can't comment on whether it is good or bad and whether the issues you report are consistent with other user experiences of in-camera JPEG. In raw, with a stable shot, I am really happy with the sharpness, the colour and the optical quality of the lens. It is a fantastic tool to use.

Hi.. here is one shot I took today.. I think I have camera working ok now. give me your thoughts.. you can't hurt my feelings.. LOL .. this is my first image post in over 2 yrs so we will see if it works.. if it does, I will post more shots as well..

14953438805_5b3f5d7bcb_b.jpg
[/url]R0000714 by MrDoug1, on Flickr[/IMG]

The R0000726 image does look a bit mushy. The top of the crane look unclear, as does the image generally. The first and third image ok. The last one 552 looks to me like sharpness is at minimum or turned off. My first reaction is the IQ problems are either settings or maybe camera shake. Can you take some with camera on a table or tripod?

As an earlier posted said, there are modes and setting that can make general usage of a GR harder to get good IQ. They are there for specific image making conditions.

I went to look at the originals to study the EXIF data, but your flickr account has locked me out.

The R0000726 image does look a bit mushy. The top of the crane look unclear, as does the image generally. The first and third image ok. The last one 552 looks to me like sharpness is at minimum or turned off. My first reaction is the IQ problems are either settings or maybe camera shake. Can you take some with camera on a table or tripod?

As an earlier posted said, there are modes and setting that can make general usage of a GR harder to get good IQ. They are there for specific image making conditions.

I went to look at the originals to study the EXIF data, but your flickr account has locked me out.

Check my flickr account know.. I think it's fixed..

Doug,

It's really hard to say with images at a max size of 1024 x 768. From what I can see, they all look OK but the second, which looks pretty soft. But looking at something larger (not necessarily pixel peeping at 100% but something that fills the computer screen, maybe a long edge of 2048) might show more of what's going on. There were things about the GR I didn't love when I shot with one, but the lens was among the best and sharpest I've used, particularly in a small camera with a retractable lens assembly. So if you're getting consistently soft images, you may have a bad copy. But if you're just getting occasional soft images, which these examples suggest, there's probably some user error or inappropriate settings turned on somewhere in the camera. The colors look like Ricoh colors to me, a little green heavy and without the kind of instant "pop" you can get from Fuji, Olympus, Nikon, etc, but perfectly fine and something you can work with.

-Ray

As Ray says. They look ok "from a distance" but you can't really tell anything from small files. I'd check settings, and make sure that you understand how to save them once set. I'd also like to see the EXIF to understand shutter speed settings. The GR is awesomely capable - it is a better camera than I am a photographer - but it does require patience initially to master.

Back