New iPad 3

I've ordered the new model.
I think the improvements (processor, RAM and especially the screen) are significant.

A lot of the key apps will be updated to take advantage of one or more of the changes. Amazon already updated their app to take advantage of the new screen.

I'm home again (been home for an hour now) with my new 16G ipad (the store I went to only had 16G wifi, and 64G wifi/4G, so I took the option which would be financially sensible. I also did not feel inclined to spend the morning hunting down a 32G wifi only.) Disappointed that at the moment it seems that the keyoard dock I had for the ipad1 is not going to fit this ipad. It might, but right now I've just got it on the cable and connected to the iMac. Do not yet have a case, and I am using a leftover Belkin screen protector, and will use a logitech neoprene sleeve I bought for my netbook, in the meantime. I never manage to either get screen protectors on straight, or bubble-less, so am not going to fuss over getting a Power Support one yet. Mind you there are none available for this ipad model. Might change my mind when they are. its what I have on my phone and its brilliant for resisting fingerprints.

I've just started the sync process, adding only the apps I know I'll use. My hidden object games I never have more than two on board at once, they are usually huge, and complex. Snapseed and various other things are being added (if you don't have Flipboard and Readability, you're crazy) and for now I am only adding 4G of photographs. I wont have the space for doing as much as I wanted. But, thats not really a huge problem for me.

The screen is just as gorgeous as they said it would be. iMessage is working a treat (wifi only..)

I'll see what the additional RAM will do when the sync is done, but I expect everything to be just smoother than it was on iPad1.

An additional plus was that the store I bought it at, was selling at $41 less than Apple *and* I didnt have to line up. Walked in, bought, walked out. All good.

I find it funny sometimes that people will be so stubborn towards buying an Apple product just because it's Apple.

I have a friend who has argued with me for years about him not buying Apple products for no reason than it's Apple!

I have a coiple of those. One suddenly decided to get a MBP 6 months ago, and he loved it. He followed that with an MBA + Thunderbolt screen. His samsung galaxy s2 has been shelved because the screen broke,and someone lent him an iphone 3GS. He took to the iphone immediately once using it, and bought a 4S within 3 days of being lent the other. The Smasung has now come home and all fixed... but he now prefers the iphone. He's just sent a message to say he has got his 64G wifi/4G ipad from Apple store and he's now on his way to work. He has a Mac Pro on his shopping list but might get a 27" imac instead.

Hows that for being a switcher. I truly never thought I would see the day. He keeps his PC for a few games, but those are becoming fewer and fewer. He's on the train to work and has unboxed and activated now. I would say he has become a fanboi, from being firmly on the android/PC side of the fence 6 months ago. Brilliant :)

... I have preordered the iPad 3, I was late doing it so it's the end of the month for mine to arrive but I think I can cope, I think........
Or go to BigW if you have one near you (but do it now, not next week, that will be too late) and get one cheaper than from Apple, then cancel your online order.

Sounds good you all.

Aren't you caving in *yet*????

Honestly BB, once you have one, you will really get a lot out of it... and it doesnt have to be an expensive proposition if you don't want it to be, there are a truckload of free photography apps on the app store, which, whilst not as good as snapseed et al, still do a marvellous job.

I am thinking particularly of Pixlr-o-matic which is available as an Adobe AIR download for the computer, a Chrome web app, and for your iOS (ipad or iphone) or Android device (tablet or phone). Its an Autodesk product and its free. You can also use it direct from your computer on the web. It really is a very good app.

Then there are others which are really inexpensive. eg Phototoaster for $1.99 - worth every penny, and also for iphone and ipad (sorry Androidians, not for you afaik).

I also use Flipboard and Readability for news reading and gathering. Also have Instapaper but havent really taken to that. There is just *so* much there. So many apps, so little time.

Do yourself a favour and just get one!!

i told myself that I'd stick with my iPad 1, but the more and more frequent crashing when I am using Safari (and sometimes other apps) is beginning to annoy me a lot. It happens particularly when viewing graphic intensive pages. It didn't use to happen. But I suppose that's Apple's not so subtle way to prod me to upgrade!! :)

i told myself that I'd stick with my iPad 1, but the more and more frequent crashing when I am using Safari (and sometimes other apps) is beginning to annoy me a lot. It happens particularly when viewing graphic intensive pages. It didn't use to happen. But I suppose that's Apple's not so subtle way to prod me to upgrade!! :)

Ditto on the crashes on the ipad1. However, the frequency has gone down substantially this past week after I installed iOS 5.1. Not sure that was an advertised feature of the new version, as Apple never really owned up to the crash issues.

But I'll still be looking at the new iPad....and when I look, it's usually not too long after that my resistance evaporates...

Thread hijack alert..

OK. So I have and love my ipad 2. But yesterday I dropped it and smashed the screen. I wasn't planning on upgrading. But now im up for an Apple exchange (not sure how much yet) or an ipad3.

My question is. How much extra is the ipad 3 worth over the 2? If you have a 2, how much would you pay to get an exchange for a v3? If thees a not so big difference in the costs i may go for the 3. Im just not sure how much is worth it though.

Id love to hear from v3 owners, especially those that have used a v2.

Gordon

I f you use it a lot it may be worth considering the improvements in the new model:
1. 4G: not relevant to me...but
2. The screen: text is way better, images incredible etc
3. Processor: more powerful, and over time this will matter as more processor intensive apps are developed
4. More RAM: partly needed for the demanding screen, but really similar to point 3 - allows for more demanding (and capable) apps.

Another thing they've added is a boost to the Applecare. This is their extended warranty. for most things in life I don't get extended warranty, and certainly never store ones, such as Best Buy. I do consider it for mobile devices, and the improvement is quite cool: purchasing the Applecare not only extends the warranty, but provides for 2 instances of repair or replacement due to user damage, for a small fee. So if you drop a device and crack a screen, warranties don't usually cover the damage. But an iPad is one of those things you are likely to drop. A nice warranty upgrade I think.

Now here's a question that I've asked before - which size to get?

I'm thinking I'll try to score an iPad2 for my husband, his swearing at my old laptop is driving me crazy and all he needs is Internet and email...so that's an easy one. But what about those of us who want to use it for photos and more? If you use the iPhoto on the new iPad then I guess you can always end up storing the photos on an external hard drive, the same as most of us do with Lightroom via our computers/laptops. How do any of you do/deal with this? Because, frankly, the idea of viewing photos on the new iPad seems as though it would be great...and I kind of like the way the iPhoto organizes things into albums, etc.... Am I making myself clear or being confusing?

Hi, BB:

The iPad isn't a good long-term storage device for photos; even the largest model has only 64 GB of storage, and that's gross (system, music, apps, videos, photos, etc.). Plus you can't attach an external hard drive to it. It's very good temporary storage and excellent for viewing photos. It's fun for photo processing, but not nearly as sophisticated as a laptop running Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop.

Not wanting to sound negative at all! You just need to know the limitations befored diving in. Re size, it's a tough call. Just remember it can't be expanded later. I have the iPad 1, 64 GB, and I've pretty much filled it, although I haven't been diligent about removing photos. If I go with the new model, it'll be 64 GB again..

Hi, BB:

The iPad isn't a good long-term storage device for photos; even the largest model has only 64 GB of storage, and that's gross (system, music, apps, videos, photos, etc.). Plus you can't attach an external hard drive to it. It's very good temporary storage and excellent for viewing photos. It's fun for photo processing, but not nearly as sophisticated as a laptop running Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop.

+1

I LOVE the ipad (especially the new one) but would never consider using it to store photographs. I have every intention of doing minor processing and "playing" with various apps but theres no way it would ever be able to take the place of a full computer whether desktop or lappie, and LR/PS etc.

Very happy with mine and I only have 16G. Currently using it more for communication stuff (imessage, email) and reading (Newspaper, forums etc). Right now am on desktop whilst ipad is open on imessage. I get confused about which keyboard to use :)

View attachment 50911
iPad + iPad1 Keyboard by kyte50, on Flickr

Apple is so very good at that. When you're about 2 versions old, the current software will start to crash your device :rolleyes:. I figure I've got about 6-8 months left before some dot release of Mountain Lion strongly suggests (cue mob offer voice) that my 11" MacBook Air needs replacing.

The MacBook Pro is my photography machine. The iPad could easily be my everything else machine. 64 GBs, room to grow, Verizon, room to maneuver.

Apple is so very good at that. When you're about 2 versions old, the current software will start to crash your device :rolleyes:. I figure I've got about 6-8 months left before some dot release of Mountain Lion strongly suggests (cue mob offer voice) that my 11" MacBook Air needs replacing.

Don't bet on it. My iMac is a mid 2007 20" model running Lion perfectly well, along with other Apple products (but not Aperture which I detest). Its likely that my machine wont be able to run ML... but its not only 2 versions, way more than that, which is pretty normal, for Apple computers. Also, my iPad1 had memory issues... thats why the apps crash on it. The current model has 4x the RAM amd 4x the screen. It will be replaced by a new one next year but I wont be needing to buy it. I think its likely this will do for me, for some years yet. My 3GS iphone is also going just fine, and the only reason I will upgrade in (June/July?whwenever) is because I want to, not because I need to. The OS (currently 5.1) has actually improved its performance and battery life.

If software is crashing your device at only 2 versions on... I'd be looking at something other than the device.

Don't bet on it. My iMac is a mid 2007 20" model running Lion perfectly well, along with other Apple products (but not Aperture which I detest). Its likely that my machine wont be able to run ML... but its not only 2 versions, way more than that, which is pretty normal, for Apple computers. Also, my iPad1 had memory issues... thats why the apps crash on it. The current model has 4x the RAM amd 4x the screen. It will be replaced by a new one next year but I wont be needing to buy it. I think its likely this will do for me, for some years yet. My 3GS iphone is also going just fine, and the only reason I will upgrade in (June/July?whwenever) is because I want to, not because I need to. The OS (currently 5.1) has actually improved its performance and battery life.

If software is crashing your device at only 2 versions on... I'd be looking at something other than the device.

The Safari crashes on my iPad began almost immediately after an early iOS update. I kept waiting for a subsequent release to correct the problems, which were widely experienced and discussed on various iPad forums. As far as I know, Apple never really acknowledged the problem. So I've waited patiently and endured. Latest update (5.1) seems to have reduced but not eliminated the crashes. I'll probably punt at this point and move up to the new iPad. I'm too heavily invested in apps to consider any non-Apple alternative. When I clear out all my stuff from the original iPad, I'm planning to give it to my son; we'll see if a "clean" iPad 1 can rub trouble-free.

(Note: this reply composed on...my iPad, of course!)

After looking on the net last night at ipad spec and thinking of what i wanted to use the tablet for i decided to get the asus EeePad transformer instead. I was thinking of just replacing the laptop!! The EeePad does all and more than the ipad for me. I looked at the new iPad display and although good it was hardly any different to the iPad 2 to my eyes. With the EeePad i get the best of both worlds, a brilliant tablet and a keyboard for when i'm at home plus 2xUSB and an SD card slot....and also a Micro SD slot for extra storage. Sweeet!!

Back