Nikon New issue with v1 ...ghost bars

Wetstuff

Rookie
My Canon 7D collects dust as this v1 has become my favorite camera. About a week ago, I noticed there were alternating light/dark, horizontal areas in my images that divide the visible image into about five zones ..from the top: light/dark/light/dark/light? I went to shoot some product today and I simply cannot use the camera... The 18.5 lens is clean .. everything seems fine - except the images. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. Jim

Ugh. That doesn't sound good. Are you shooting in natural light or with fluorescent light? Could the banding be something in the lighting?

My Canon 7D collects dust as this v1 has become my favorite camera. About a week ago, I noticed there were alternating light/dark, horizontal areas in my images that divide the visible image into about five zones ..from the top: light/dark/light/dark/light? I went to shoot some product today and I simply cannot use the camera... The 18.5 lens is clean .. everything seems fine - except the images. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. Jim

Please post sample image with EXIF data for us to be able to fully help you. Thanks.

a sample image may help someone diagnose the issue. Does it happen at all shutter speeds? Does the V1 use a physical shutter? I can't believe it is anything to do with the lens, but does it exhibit the same issue with other lenses?

Thanks Guys.. I don't know how to find/post EXIF data... but here's an image.

Banding.jpg

...the Raw image is also posted at wetstuff.com/Banding.NEF ..it downloads on my Mac rather that opening within this window.

Here's a shot a few days ago.. albeit cleaned up a bit.

Singer1.jpg

...both shot on a workbench with Fluorescent lamps overhead and one of those 'umbrella' helper lamps with a spiral tube lamps. I have done this for months without this deep shading?

Jim

Thanks Guys.. I don't know how to find/post EXIF data... but here's an image.

...the Raw image is also posted at wetstuff.com/Banding.NEF ..it downloads on my Mac rather that opening within this window.

Here's a shot a few days ago.. albeit cleaned up a bit.

...both shot on a workbench with Fluorescent lamps overhead and one of those 'umbrella' helper lamps with a spiral tube lamps. I have done this for months without this deep shading?

Jim

Here's the basic EXIF:
Banding_NEF_Info.png

The photo sure does look like the banding you'd see when using fluorescent lamps of a certain frequency and with a shutter speed set at a multiple of that frequency. Does the banding change if you adjust the shutter speed from 1/320 to 1/60 or 1/30 or 1/15?

Also, are you using the electronic shutter? If so, switch to the physical shutter and see if that makes a difference.

the banding looks to me like some results I've seen of an electronic shutter combined with flourescent lights. It's beyond my pay grade to understand it, but it has to do with the cycle times of the lights and the way the sensor is written to sequentially. Try shooting the same scene under those lights using different shutter speeds. You may find that one or two specific shutter speeds are the problem.

But that is just a guess.

I see I was responding at the same time as Mr. Flores (apparently great minds think alike :rolleyes-74: ). I think a trial using the mechanical shutter will reveal that is an issue with using the electronic shutter under those lights.

I'm slightly embarrassed.. Luke and John, I suspect you're spot on. It must have been the aperture-of-the-moment that conflicted with the Fluro lamps.. both the the 8 foot tubes above the bench and the little one behind the umbrella. Whew! I did not want to have to send the v1 away...

Prior to panic, I should have done what I did below - simply stick the lens out the door. (dreadfully dreary for the last month around here...)

test.jpg

Sorry for the false alarm. I am glad you folks were around to point me in the right direction. Cheers. Jim

I'm slightly embarrassed.. Luke and John, I suspect you're spot on. It must have been the aperture-of-the-moment that conflicted with the Fluro lamps.. both the the 8 foot tubes above the bench and the little one behind the umbrella. Whew! I did not want to have to send the v1 away...

Prior to panic, I should have done what I did below - simply stick the lens out the door. (dreadfully dreary for the last month around here...)

test.jpg

Sorry for the false alarm. I am glad you folks were around to point me in the right direction. Cheers. Jim

Not so fast! I see banding in this photo! .... oh wait ... snow ... never mind.

Back