New Leica Mini M

Discussion in 'Leica M Forum' started by serhan, May 23, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting news:
    New Leica Mini M camera coming on June 11 | Leica News & Rumors

No Panasonic involvement. So the question is whether it is full frame or crop vs fixed lens vs m-mount? Since it is made in Germany, maybe a full frame mini M with interchangeable M mount... Keep dreaming till June 11:) We'll see if Leica will beat Sony on full frame release.

2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Oh boy ...

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Judging from the history of Leica's X1/X2, this new Mini M will probably perform like a previous generation camera for triple the price.

4. CM_SK

CM_SK SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    The name, and the box, suggest it will be X100 size, and perhaps even a direct X100 derivative. An X100 style camera without the hybrid viewfinder (perhaps Leica's own EVF), fixed Leica lens, and who knows what sensor?

5. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    Just give me a short fixed zoom lens , please Leica

6. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    They already have a nice full frame sensor that could do double duty in the 240. I'm guessing this will be a fixed lens (35mm Summicron?), with autofocus, full frame, revamped Digilux 2, up there jostling with the RX1, for about 5000$ (unfortunately). This could actually be an exciting camera. Apart from the price. Also no RF, EVF/OVF as optional accessories available at stratospheric prices.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
  8. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Sounds Fuji X-E1/X-Pro inspired... :rofl:

[video=youtube;LO7rxitFLZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO7rxitFLZg[/video]

9. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    There are 4 options that are discussed:
    1) Least competition in mirrorless full frame - again will compete with M240 so they might stay away from that like Canikon did with mirrorless. Full frame is the only growth area and there is no competition there until Sony/Samsung come next year.
    2) RX1 is getting lots of customers from Leica, so full frame fixed lens might be an option. But again this is too short time for product development as a response.
    3) APSC mirrorless camera as Amin suggested. Too much competition there, but there are issues with the corners with existing wide m lenses except Ricoh grx. But then nex-7n follow up will be without AA filter which might resolve some of those issues. Again the price point is the key. This makes more sense with the long development time for a product. Sony already sold nex to Hasselbald and even that took nearly one product cycle.
    4) APSC zoom as Leica rumors is suggesting.

It's been an interesting year with RX1, Coolpix A, Ricoh GR, and now Leica.

10. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
  11. patk

patk New to SC

May 15, 2011
    does a rebadged gx2 on june 11 make sense with the pana version due in august? usually the rebadged version follows the original.

i'm rooting for a ff mini monochrom with fixed 50/2 lens, autofocus and optional evf.

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I read on one of the rumors websites that it is a fully Leica product and not a PanaLeica so if the rumors are to be believed it's not just a GX2 with a red dot.

13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting. If Leica did as Amin suggests, and the price is close enough, it could go head to head with the Fuji X series. The field may be competitive, but the red dot still has a lot of mojo.

14. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    What would this cost? $3500 for the body?

15. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    This is terrible, really really terrible.

- L1 rebirth in the new GX2
    - new OM-D
    - Leica mini-M
    - Sony RX1
    - full frame Sony/Samsung ILC
    - Fuji X-Pro2

....all either here or on the near to mid term horizon.

16. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's only money. Lots and lots of money.

17. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Eating is soooo overrated...

18. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Would I sell my OMD and 6D for a Leica mini M ---

Hmmm... with a Leica everyone gives you "respect" for being "serious" but no one asks you to take all the pictures at the birthday party :)

19. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    My sister still would. And would be shocked to find out you can't do all the video work simultaneously. Her expectations are so realistic sometimes... Wait, they never are. Lol

-Eliot "...but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world..." - Fox, Le Petit Prince

20. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I shot almost a whole wedding with the M8!