Micro 4/3 New LX100 on it's way

This is a camera I almost immediately bonded to. I divide my cameras in two sections: tools and friends. My EM1 is undoubtedly a nice camera, but I've never befriended it. It's a tool that only comes out when I need the big guns (12-40; 40-150). The LX100 I loved from the first touch. I haven't used it in a bit (that happens when you get an even newer camera (Pen-F) that you really enjoy), but find it an ideal camera to have in my everyday bag.

I had two issues: after using a third party battery, my LX100 no longer could retain its power. It drained in a few days, even when not using the camera, even after switching to the supplied battery. The camera went in repair, but at that time they couldn't find anything abnormal. When it happened again, I figured out that it only happened when I used the third party battery. I left the camera without battery for a few days, and only used genuine Panasonic batteries from then. The problem never returned.

Furthermore my lens motor broke, in a way that zooming out would have the lens make a grinding sound. I didn't know how and when at that time, and it was repaired under guarantee. Later on I figured out through some forum posts that it must have happened in my coat pocket by accidentally setting the power switch to "on" while the lens had no room to extend. Panasonic seems to have cheapened out, and didn't add a sensor to signal the lens to stop zooming out when it's blocked causing the lens motor to break. I am now more careful of the way I carry my camera.

Here's one I got with the Leica-branded LX100, and the local public parks system adopted this image for a range of gift items they sell:

image.jpeg

This is a camera I almost immediately bonded to. I divide my cameras in two sections: tools and friends. My EM1 is undoubtedly a nice camera, but I've never befriended it. It's a tool that only comes out when I need the big guns (12-40; 40-150). The LX100 I loved from the first touch. I haven't used it in a bit (that happens when you get an even newer camera (Pen-F) that you really enjoy), but find it an ideal camera to have in my everyday bag.

I had two issues: after using a third party battery, my LX100 no longer could retain its power. It drained in a few days, even when not using the camera, even after switching to the supplied battery. The camera went in repair, but at that time they couldn't find anything abnormal. When it happened again, I figured out that it only happened when I used the third party battery. I left the camera without battery for a few days, and only used genuine Panasonic batteries from then. The problem never returned.

Furthermore my lens motor broke, in a way that zooming out would have the lens make a grinding sound. I didn't know how and when at that time, and it was repaired under guarantee. Later on I figured out through some forum posts that it must have happened in my coat pocket by accidentally setting the power switch to "on" while the lens had no room to extend. Panasonic seems to have cheapened out, and didn't add a sensor to signal the lens to stop zooming out when it's blocked causing the lens motor to break. I am now more careful of the way I carry my camera.

The older Panasonics would sense that the lens cap is on and not extend the lens. On the battery thing, that seems deliberate also, in that I did a firmware upgrade to a Panasonic a couple years ago where Panasonic stated that "this firmware update will disallow third-party batteries". That latter feature seems OK in that if a battery ruins a $800 camera, neither party will pay to replace the camera. But it shouldn't be done in an underhanded way.

Totally wrong camera at the ready. I was testing the digital zoom, and won't be using it anymore. I've edited this one as much as I dare.

image.jpeg

For this, not much zooming :). Edited of course.

image.jpeg

I think that dusk photos are a bit beyond the camera's capacity (for the way I like to shoot, that is, with a low ISO). One needs an excellent light source (as in Dale's shot above) and a setting sun isn't enough. Lots more to play with before any more posts :)

Last edited:
Back