New Panasonic X range lenses - Image examples

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Got my hands on the 14-42 and 45-70mm (or whatever it is) X lenses from Panasonic. I have taken some quick test shots so will pop them up as soon as i get time. They feel very nice quality so hoping for good image quality.

Watch this space!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Can't wait! How fast do they focus?

3. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    This I am really interested in, particularly the 14-42. Thanks!

Cheers,

Antonio

4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Yes we all have money searing our skin as it burns holes in our pockets. :blush:

Keen to see the results mate.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Mark, I'll help you out by sending you my Paypal info straightaway! :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    OK, Here are a few shots taken on the GF3 on iAuto setting. These images are straight from camera, into Lightroom 3, Re sized and Std Sharpening added on export. I think the lenses do rather well. The 14-42 is certainly sharper than the std kit lens. I will have to make a few side by side comparisons to get a final verdict.

14-42 f3.5-5.6 X

f5.6, 1/80th, ISO 800
    [​IMG]

f10, 1/500th, ISO160
    [​IMG]

f8, 1/250th, ISO160 Close focus
    [​IMG]

45-175 lens

f9, 1/1000, ISO160
    [​IMG]

f4, 1/1250th, ISO 160
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    They look rather good! That's good and bad (I have a birthday coming up!). Thanks for posting these Andy :smile:

9. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    These do look good! I am thinking the 14-42 on my GF3 will make for a nice almost pocketable carry everywhere camera. Hopefully, it will get to the US fairly soon.

Thank you so much, Andy.

Regards,

Antonio

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I was fairly confident that the IQ would be there in these lenses. The more important question for me is how it feels to operate the zoom using a rocker switch?

11. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Thanks Andy!

Any limitations to using these lenses in the Oly bodies? Are y'all selling them already?

12. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Not due in till mid Oct and i'm asuming they will work with OLY bodies.

The 14-42 is small and quite lite. The togle zoom works superbly and there is a small togle switch for manual focus which is good. IQ seems excelent from corner to corner. It would be perfect for a GF 1, 2 or 3. actually any og the G series of cameras.

The 45-75mm is a nice weight and size and it also has the zoom switch. You can also use the zoom ring old school style and the zoom is all internal so good news all round. Prices aren't too bad also.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Thanks Andy! How does the size of the 45-175 stack up against the Oly 40-150?

The little 14-42 may be a good fit for the Pens too! If mounted on a Lite or Mini, would the lens protrude beyond the lens mount like the 20mm does on the Lite and Mini? Thanks for the info!

14. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    From memory there isn't much difference and the 45-75 is light but does not feel cheap. The 14-42 does not stick out so much as the 20mm when turned off but it does protrude when turned on. THE most important thing is IQ and i think these lenses deliver!

15. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Andy

Thanks for the report. How fast does it focus? As fast as the oly mk ii kit?

16. DaveO

DaveO SC Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Crossville, Tn
    I am interested in the new 14-42mm x lens, but I think the hump on the GF3 is ugly. I prefer the look of the GF2.

DaveO

17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've found that focus is fact on my E-PM2, even in relatively obsure lighting. I've become quite fond of this lens in the short time I've had it. I don't find it disturbingly soft at 42mm, as some do. My copy is fine throughout its range and excellent through much of the wider range. I wondered about using the toggle switch to zoom too, as many others here have, and I find it works very well indeed.

I know some samples, earlier ones I believe, had serious blur issues at 42mm and shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/200. It is not an issue on mine, so I cannot speak to it except to hope that Panasonic got a firm handle on it, because it's a neat little lens. Here's a fun grab from yesterday at the Goodwill thrift store. (iso 1250)

[​IMG]

18. lcsolla

lcsolla SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Luis Castro e Solla
    I have used the 14-42X zoom, in my Panasonic GF2 and in a friend's GX1 (I should get my new GX1 next Friday :smile:). I had read several bad things about it. Maybe it is slightly worse than the original 14-45, but I am not a pixel-peeper, and even if it is, the reduced size more than compensates for it. I do not find it worse than my 14-42. I was very happy with the pictures and the focusing speed, and I did not find the motorized zoom action as bad as I expected - as a matter of fact, it quickly became second nature, and I did not think more about it. The new 14-42 must be very very good for me not to prefer the convenience of the 14-42x.