New Pentax (not the FF)

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by kyteflyer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Finally, a decent mid level Pentax. (Well the K30/50 were fine too)

I hated the K-S1, all those fancy lights, seemed to me it was aimed at teenage girls in Japan. The next iteration is coming with *some* lights, but not the glaring nonsense of the first, and it also gains a twisty screen, which I've been hoping for, for years, environmental sealing, and a compact 18-50mm lens. Looking good. Lets see how it pans out in the end.

In the meantime I have committed to buying a second hand K200D and something in me has gone "whew. At last!" I should have it in 3 weeks or so, the seller is overseas at the moment but will be returning next week. The deal will be done then. At $175 shipped, with a battery grip and only 5800 shutter actuations, should be good. AND, I finally get my CCD sensor back :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations, Sue. I had a K200D that I only gave up when I got a K-5 IIs to go with my original K-5. It's a great camera. My niece has the K200D now, so it's still in the family and still works fine. However, I did pick up another Pentax this week: A Q-S1 body for U.S. $197 from Amazon.com. I plan to use it with with my DA 55-300 when shooting wildlife. 300mm with a 4.6x crop factor gives you a 1380mm equivalent. Fun.

3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Ta Steve. I gave up my original K200D when I got the K5. I have forever wished I had not. I just like the output from CCD, and thats that. I never moved on to the K5ii or K5iiS. Perhaps I might not have been hankering for the 200 if I had. OTOH I don't mind 10MP, and I love CCD so I should be right at home. Will I sell the K5? Maybe. Depends on a lot of variables. But the market isn't paying much, so probably not. Saw one go off in PF for $225. ridiculous. I'll find a use for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    No, I wasn't, really. I was referring to the fact that I am about to buy a new old K200D :):):)

6. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :smile:

7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Good choice. I still miss the K200D that was my daily camera of choice for a few years.....and occasionally wonder why I was ever foolish enough to sell mine. I think your 'new' purchase sounds like a wonderful choice, Sue.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Do post some images from your new/old camera when you get it. It is all too easy to forget that there is not a linear relationship between advances in sensor technology and aesthetic image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Nic, I will.

10. tennjed

tennjed SC Rookie

May 25, 2013
    Was the K200D the predecessor of the K5 models? IOW, at one time, Pentax flagship?

11. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    No, actually the K200D had the mid-line position under the flagship, which was the K-20 at the time. The K200D was kind of the K30/K50 of it's time. But it was more robust than that and was more similar to a flagship.

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The K-7 came before the K-5.

13. JKLso

JKLso SC Regular

Nov 24, 2014
    near Kelso WA USA
    jim
    The 200d came just before K20 and K-7. It's one of two CCD dSLR with weather seals and inside stabilization I think (K10 the other), as Sony's A700 began the CMOS invasion.

I just put my K200d up for sale
    at pentaforums, praps I should add it here too? The K-s2 is in my future unless the s1 goes on absurd clearance like the K01 did.. Which is very possible!

I will miss it though!
    IMGP4869e.

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've just been out with mine (posted in the portrait forum) and am very pleased. Its got a couple of oil spots on the sensor but nothing that can't be healed in post and not noticeable except on a bright blue sky. Must go give feedback to Dean, on PF. A damn good deal for $175 inc post. No box or cables but... pfft.

15. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    And I just got the email from Kennedy's saying the K-S2 is on the way. (not to me, but to Australia!) arghh. Now I am all at sixes and sevens, I can't justify having THREE bodies.