1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New RX100 Owner. Comments

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by petemasty, Aug 6, 2012.

1. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    Wow!

There you go. That sums up perfectly my experience with the RX100 since I bought the camera 48 hours ago. I'll add a bit more.

Image quality: eye-poppingly good. not just for a small compact, but certainly rivals by Canon 7D and the 15-85mm lens i had attached to it. Honest!
    Ability to capture detail: quite astounding. At work i have a low level desk partition covered in a plain blue fabric. i took a picture of it from a few feet away, and the detail it captured, along with the sharpness, was quite breathtaking (yes, breath-taking). i expected a degree of moire, but absolutely no sign of it.
    Ease of use: takes some time, like all cameras, but I'm already finding it easy to navigate. the Superior Auto function is quite superb if youre feeling a little bit lazy.
    Noise: I'm finding upto 1600 perfectly useable, but do need to do a bit more on this. i have an X100 to compare it to.

The only winge i have about it is the lack of MACRO function directly in the menu. but other than that, it is certainly a keeper.

AF is fast, MF with focus peaking is excellent. The lens ring works much better than the S90/95/100.
    no hotshoe mount but i rarely used flash on my DSLRs!.

Cant wait for Lightroom to update their firmware cos this little beauty is just outstanding!. glad i started to trim down the weighty equipment, and now left with this baby and the fuji X100. I really ought to post some pics, but i guess you lot already know how good this camera is.

It really is like having a pocket-sized DSLR

If you dont mind, I'd like to reiterate:

THIS ISNT JUST A STUNNING PERFORMER IN COMPARISON TO OTHER COMPACT CAMERAS, THIS IS A STUNNING PERFORMER FOR A CAMERA, PERIOD, FULL-STOP, ETC.

2. kevenv

kevenv SC Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    I am very pleased with this camera as well. I gave up my beloved X100 to go to this one. Just a note on MACRO, it is available in both SCN and iAUTO modes but more importantly, the camera automatically focuses at MACRO distances when in any mode at the wide end. I haven't found a need to look for MACRO mode specifically as a result.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    "Wow" is right. I have been using the camera for almost a month now and agree with everything you say. Enjoy!

4. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    cheers keveny. Yep, i noted that too with regard to macro. the bright lcd is excellent in bright sunlight too. it's so nice to get out there again with a camera that is completely unabstrusive, innocuous and unnoticeable. People dont shy away from you either. i do wish the 'user manual' had a bit more to it, but I'm sure tips and tricks will abound as more people buy it. What a cracking lens!!!

5. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    +1. This is the shirt pocket size camera which does not make one constantly regret of having left the big guns at home.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I'm heading to the beach for a few days next weekend and I think this is the only camera I'm going to take. I'll probably shoot raw+jpegs just so I'll have the raws to play with once there's support for them, but the jpegs will probably be more than fine...

-Ray

7. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I'm sure you will enjoy using just this one camera for a few days. I did the same last week in Eastern TN and enjoyed it very much.