Sony New RX100 Owner

bobn

Bought my RX100 last Thursday.

It's mk1 or whatever, not II or III or m-anything. I was trying to save some money, while still getting a well-rated camera with the 1" sensor, hence not the later models. My previous digital cameras were cheap P & S or phone camera and I was totally aggravated the low-light performance and graininess - hence the desire for a larger sensor.

After reading here, and being totally baffled by the manual, I bought the book "Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100" by Alexander White - that helped a lot.

First major shooting was Saturday, a kids party whcih was my "excuse" for buying this thing. Used the I-Auto a lot. Used P-mode to boost to ISO ( 800, 1600, 3200) for indoor existing light photos. I learned that next time, I need to set the auto-white balance in P mode. Still, no disasters.

ISO 1600 is AWESOME!!!!! 3200 ain't bad either.

Welcome to the forum, bobn. The RX100 is a fine camera, and the more you use it, the more impressed you'll probably be. True, its ergonomics don't suit some people, and even those who are comfortable with its overall ergonomics sometimes find it a little slippery. There are grips available (as indicated by bilzmale above), but I use the lower half of the OEM case. I find that it improves grip, doesn't affect the pocket-ability of the camera (surprisingly), and provides quite a pleasing 'chunky' feel.

I've had my RX100 for around two years now, and I've no intention of getting rid of it - it's a fine tool. The Mk3 looks interesting to me, but I doubt that I'd want to swap my Mk1 for it. If I were to get a Mk3, it would have to be in addition to the Mk1 (if and when funds permit:rolleyes:).

Congrats on the new camera and welcome to the Lounge.

You may, like many of us here, find an add on grip will make the camera less slippery.

Ebay:

Franiec:

Low Cost:

Thanks! I'll look at those (have already looked at the Franiec basedd on previous reading) but it's not a priority for me.

The camera handles fine for me. I've got small hands, so maybe that's why.

Holding onto the camera has been the least of my problems.

Welcome to the site.

I haven't invested in any of the third party grips because you can't fit a gripped RX100 inside a Sony leather-type two part case. I've hardly ever used the Sony case, but I like to think it's available to me without first peeling a grip off the camera.

But I do have the little nylon wrist strap permanently attached and I've developed the discipline of always slipping on the wrist strap before I pull the camera out of a pouch or pocket, and only slipping it off again when the camera is safely stowed.

I've set Auto ISO to a maximum of 1600, as for me it can get a bit grainy after that.

-R

I do have the little nylon wrist strap permanently attached and I've developed the discipline of always slipping on the wrist strap before I pull the camera out of a pouch or pocket, and only slipping it off again when the camera is safely stowed.

Yes - I've done this since the early days with the RX100. Definitely a habit worth acquiring, IMO...

Back