New Sony E-Mount (NEX) Lens Roadmap

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by olli, Feb 9, 2012.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Sony has released the latest version of the roadmap for E-mount lenses for NEX.

[​IMG]
    sony emount by ...olli..., on Flickr​

The new roadmap includes two of the three lenses previously announced for 2012 release - a G series standard zoom and a wide angle zoom. The telephoto prime has disappeared into early 2013 (difficult to tell exactly from the diagram); instead there is a 'large aperture standard' - presumably something like a 30 1.8.

Strangely there is mention also of a new 'standard zoom' - which would make three standard zooms. Other new lenses on the list (those in green) are a 'mid-magnification zoom' and a 'high-magnification zoom'. I assume 'magnification' here means the zoom multiple. So perhaps we will get something like an 18-125 and an 18-270. The final new lens is a 'snap pancake' - no idea what that is.

The real disappointment for me is that it looks like the G standard zoom isn't going to be appearing until the end of this year or possibly into next year. This was an area where Sony could have got a step ahead of the competition. Overall, though, together with the two recently announced Sigmas I like the look of this.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    I wonder what the snap pancake could be. I guess that was their way of saying that they haven't picked a focal length yet.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I was wondering about the snap pancake too - maybe something like the Oly 12mm that can be more easily used for zone focus???

There's nothing on that roadmap that has me in any way second guessing my decision to scrap my Nex5 and go all-in with m43. As good as the Nex bodies are, that lens lineup, even assuming the best, just doesn't have much I'd want.

-Ray

4. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    You know, if Sony came out with a small pancake zoom like Panny did, I might be more inclined to buy into the system. Right now the lenses are too big for my taste.

5. Nice to know Sony is really getting behind the E-Mount lenses.

Soon there should be something for everyone.

6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Hmmm ... maybe Sony should focus on increasing their supply of NEX7 and 50/1.8.

A 30/1.8 would be interesting. The $200 A-mount 35/1.8 is a really good lens and not too big. So if Sony releases something similar for the NEX, it'd be a winner.

7. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog S.C. Charter Member

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    it is obvious that Sony's emphasis is on video more than stills after seeing their future lens map

8. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    It's not a bad lineup, but it's just not for me. Not enough pancakes, and I really can't see myself using a telelens on a NEX body. It just feels wrong.

9. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Zeiss should have labeled the 8 element 7 group 24/1.8 as a Biotar or a Planar- it is anything but a Sonnar. The ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 is close to the original design, the front triplet of the original design is replaced by two elements with an "air gap" in between. Functionally equivalent, the ZM retains the classic Sonnar signature.

I'm surprised at the price of the 25/1.8, $60 less than my ZM Sonnar 50/1.5.

10. norman shearer

norman shearer SC Veteran

Here's hoping the snap pancake is a wide-angle that has click-stops for focusing at 1m, 1.5m, 2m etc. I don't see anything else of interest from Sony but am looking forward to the 2 Sigma lenses..

11. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I dunno. Continue to be unimpressed. Guess I'll stick with my EPM1 for now. Pass on the NEX7, OMD and XPro1.

12. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I was at a Sony store yesterday and asked about the 50mm release date. They don't know it. So I am wondering when Sony will catch up with last years products...

30mm 1.8 will be nice if it will be a smaller lens then current 24mm/50mm e lenses. The fuji 35mm 1.4 shots that I saw look so good!

• Like Like x 1
  13. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    This might be a silly question but do they make an adapter to use the E mount lenses on the a mount slr's? would they autofocus?

Having just got my a55 it's something of interest to me.

14. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Not that I'm aware of. But the A mount lens line up is pretty decent.

15. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Anyone can explain the color code they're using on that roadmap?

Blue = Zeiss lenses
    Black = "G" lenses
    Grey = "normal" lenses
    Green = ?

16. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Julien, I think that the grey ones are those that were already announced in previous roadmaps and the green are the ones that are new on this roadmap.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien