Sony New Sony RX100 user looking for some tips.

sirbenski

Regular
Hello fellow shooters! I'm new to the Sony RX100 world and after much research, went ahead and purchased the Mark V.

I've been keeping an eye on the RX100 series since the Mark III but only pulled the trigger and finally bought one last week.

So far I've been very impressed with this little monster of a camera. I used to own a Nikon D90 a few years back and I must say technology has really pushed forward.

Sample photo of mine:
Fruits

I have experience with photography and fairly confident in using Manual mode but since I'm new to the Sony system, I'm a bit overwhelmed especially when it comes to video.

I know that this camera shoots great 4K video for 5 minutes at a time and that overheating on this mode is a known fact.
I also know that to get best results, shooting in S-Log is advised.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to get those crispy looking videos? Any other tips are welcome too! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
hi mate
snap !!!!! lol
iv recently got the rx 100 v ,, iv down scaled from the canon 5d 2 ,, i got fed up dragging all the equipment around on days out and holidays , especially having two kids , well three if you count the wife lol ,,, its so much more easier ,,
what iv experienced and read about doing video on this camera, is that slog 2 is a great film format but theirs alot of post processing to be done if you really want to take advantage of it , also slog2 is not that good in low light condition , its very good in high contrast condition and being able to pull out detail in the shadows.
i dont now if youve had any experience with video editing software but you would deffo need to watch some tutorials on colour correcting slog2 ,,,, iv found the cine2 is a better format for general use and its great in low light conditions .
keep me informed how you get on as i think we could both help each over , thank you

Hey Matthew! I appreciate you sharing your insight! I've been messing around with S-Log as well. Downloaded Da Vinci Resolve and watching some videos on YouTube on how to color grade. Yep, I've read that some people do bounce between Cine2 and S-Log depending on the situation. I'll definitely try Cine2 next time I get the chance to film something.

Question: Have you messed around with HFR? I find that the lowest available setting of 240fps a bit too much. I looked around the settings and there is the 120pfs but it's for the normal video mode. Can I just use that and maybe slow it down a bit since most of my clips would be in 24p anyway? Thanks!

hi mate
i haven't really tested the HFR mode yet . i only now there a few different frame rates but the higher the frame rate the lower the quality ,,Da Vinci Resolve is a great progream and you can get a free version which is great ,, i had a go with it last year but decided not to go that route for my colour correcting , i use adobe premiere pro cc and i can recommend it , also after effects , there all integrated , very clever but theirs a monthly cost .

I use Lightroom and Photoshop quite a lot and will definitely be trying Premiere. For now, I'll stick with Resolve until I get the basics of color correcting and maybe get Adobe later on.

But man, these 4K clips are taking a toll on my PC. Gotta try that proxy thing I've read about.

yes the 4k does slow down your pc , im forever upgrading mine , i mostly transcode all my footage before editing to minimise the load on my pc , i use cineform codec , really nice to work with , iv put a link to a very helpful youtube video on explaining how and why it works ,, it might seem abit more time involved on the start of your editing workflow but when your making edits and colour correcting its a pleasure to work with ,, thats just my opinion ,, of course it depends on your pc spec aswel ,,,, give it a go ?

hi mate
glad you liked the cine2 ,,,, i need to ask u a favour , is there any chance you could set your rx100 v to RAW settings for photo and just see if you have the option of changing the creative style setting ? iv been shooting RAW lately but i dont understand why it gives the option to sellect a creative style setting ??

Hey, I forgot to mention but I did just that to test it out since you mentioned it on your thread and yes, I can confirm that it also gives me the option to select / change the Creative Style even if I set it to shoot only RAW. Weird.

hi mate
thank you so much , its been driving me crazy , i thought my camera was playing up ,, its really funny thing , iv also viewed the raw images in lightroom and they dont look like any RAW file iv ever seen ? maybe its a sony thing , im still searching for an answer , cheers mate

Back