1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New travel kit

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Penfan2010, May 17, 2014.

1. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 SC Top Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    I found myself with too many bodies and lenses during vacation trips; even if they were lighter m43s/Fuji Xs, there was still too much to carry around. I think I've finally found a reasonable combo, one for all around day photography, the other for low-light/night and stealth photography (when small, silent cameras are essential). And, yes, the combo comes apart so each part can be used separately. :) In the background is the iPad2 with keyboard + Snapseed for interim PP on the road.

P8660873.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    looks like a nice minimalist kit. I think it's striking how small that RX10 looks when you consider it's light gathering ability and zoom range.

3. Penfan2010

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    Thanks, Luke, absolutely. The closest in my m43 arsenal would be the E-M5 (since it also has weather sealing) plus the Panny 14-140mm (V1), but that is a decidedly heavier combo, and does not come close with the max aperture of the RX-10.

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I would actually consider buying the RX10 myself - if I didn't already own all of my Pentax gear. A K5 or K30 with the 18-135mm WR zoom pretty much gets the same job done for me. Granted, the lens aperture isn't as wide but APS-C sensor somewhat makes up for that. Still, the RX10 is a great piece of kit. Good luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    We have downsized in a similar fashion Ed - enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I think if I were starting with a clean slate, the RX10 would be in there. I'm envious of you downsizing, and hoping to get to that happy place as well.

7. Penfan2010

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    Thanks, Darren. Still a bit of a ways to go to truly downsize. Have a couple other mu43 bodies and a few lenses to work through!