New (Weird) Yashica Camera

I think what they are trying to do is bring back the "process" of photography but still providing the benefits of digital.
I'm a big proponent of "process". I think that is why I love my Nikon Df and Olympus PEN-F so much.

I think it has some major flaws though, at least on face value....until I get more information on it.

Yashica Electro 35 was famous because it was an aperture priority auto camera. This Y35 camera is the opposite. It is a limited shutter speed "auto" camera with specific fixed aperture ranges from the digiFilm modules. While I can appreciate the fixed f/2.8 aperture for some things, it seems very limited.

My initial guess on the whole thing is that the ISO ranges are just a marketing number that describes the type of output you can expect. I have a feeling it is going to work a lot like a cell phone lens, where the fixed lens aperture coupled with the shutter speed selected will change the ISO value to get an appropriate exposure.

It's actually much less expensive than most of the Lomography cameras out there - none of which are digital, except the Holga Digital, which is a very similar concept and was only around $50.

$124-$328 USD is hardly cheap, especially compared to the Holga Digital or "vintage" digital cameras that seem to be popular for lomo...

They're all film cameras, hipster Instax rip offs mostly and the film is roughly a dollar per shot... what's yer point?

If I want to play with film, I'll stick my 15mm BCL on an EPM1 in VGA mode with a 16Mb card and shoot high ISO in really low light... :D

I was referring to the "lomo" camera and what is currently out there and their price. That was the point. Cost wise, most are way more expensive and not digital. That is all. :D

It appears that the experience is what they are going for here.

IMG_20160702_090907.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple of quid in a junk shop. A tenner's worth of new skins and seals. A couple of hours of work with a Swiss Army knife, a set of jeweller's screwdrivers, some surgical spirit and a spudger. A fiver a film. Twenty quid a roll to dev and cut to CD.

More pure fun than this thing.

I increasingly find myself in the old fuddy-duddy camp. But not here. I have no time for film, but I'm all for new digital experieces that may borrow some aspect of shooting film.

Now can someone make a digital camera that replicates the process (and results) of daguerrotype photography without the hassle and expense of chemicals and glass plates?

:D

View attachment 129388

A couple of quid in a junk shop. A tenner's worth of new skins and seals. A couple of hours of work with a Swiss Army knife, a set of jeweller's screwdrivers, some surgical spirit and a spudger. A fiver a film. Twenty quid a roll to dev and cut to CD.

I've never had the pleasure of using a Trip 35. Looks kinda neat though, might see about finding one, possibly local, and checking it out.

Twenty quid Bill? Are you going for ultra high res scans or something?

I've never had the pleasure of using a Trip 35. Looks kinda neat though, might see about finding one, possibly local, and checking it out.

If you do, drop me a line. Mine came from a charity shop. The one test to perform is to cock the shutter, then try to release it with your hand (or a lens cap) over the lens. If the thing fires, avoid, because it means that the light meter is shot. Best to look for one that is lens-capped or boxed/cased because those old meters degrade through exposure to light over time.

I can tell you where I got the seal kit and the skins, and what - and what not! - to take apart, clean and tighten. It doesn't show in that photo but mine's a fetching shade of dark blue now. I've also fitted a cheapo chrome finish thumbrest and a step-up ring to get to a sensible filter size.

I was in London a couple of weeks ago and saw a couple in shops - in standard, unfettled condition, with swing-ticket prices of £145 - £150. Depressingly, there are those who will pay...

Back