Fuji Newbie here; But just got back my x100 from Fuji to fix SAB sticky aperture blade problem..but..?

pointbob

Newbie here; But just got back my x100 from Fuji to fix SAB sticky aperture blade problem..but..what i'd like to know is has Fuji 100% identified why SAB problem occurred AND ..this is the big one...have they developed a method via the lens repair to prevent the defect from re-occurring?

They did replace the lens assembly under warranty. Which runs out in 4 months lol.

Thanks

Newbie here; But just got back my x100 from Fuji to fix SAB sticky aperture blade problem..but..what i'd like to know is has Fuji 100% identified why SAB problem occurred AND ..this is the big one...have they developed a method via the lens repair to prevent the defect from re-occurring?

They did replace the lens assembly under warranty. Which runs out in 4 months lol.

Thanks

I believe that the replacement lens units were re-designed following recognition of the SAB problem, and therefore the problem shouldn't recur. I haven't heard of any incidents of the new lens assembly causing trouble, but I'm sure that - if any SC members know otherwise - they'll let us know here.;)

Production at the Taiwa-Cho factory was devasted by The Great Eastern Earthquake but after an heroic 14 days effort the workers got production going again. No staff were injured.
That much we know as fact from Fuji themselves.

The rumour went around that the lens assembly fabrication unit was found to be slightly out of tolerance at some time after Sticking Aperture Blades were reported.
Changes were evidently made and units assembled later should be less prone to problems.
This has never been confirmed by Fuji AFAIK but their willingness to repair SAB free of charge outside warranty ( at least in the EU ) may indicate some level of truth.

The rumour went around that the lens assembly fabrication unit was found to be slightly out of tolerance at some time after Sticking Aperture Blades were reported.
Changes were evidently made and units assembled later should be less prone to problems.
This has never been confirmed by Fuji AFAIK but their willingness to repair SAB free of charge outside warranty ( at least in the EU ) may indicate some level of truth.
That, and the fact that few or no problems have been reported since the units produced during that period.

If they fixed it, I wouldn't worry about it going forward.

-Ray

I got quite lucky with this fault. My X100 developed SAB at the end of last year. I sent it to Fuji UK, and swiftly received it back, with a new lens unit. However, the camera was no longer calibrated properly.
So, when I was on 4000th of a second, I was actually in 200th, and so on. So it went back to Fuji. They gave the camera a complete clean, and full service, no charge:)

Back