Nex-5r (and maybe 6) to have phase detection on sensor?

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by krugorg, Aug 15, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    (SR5) NEX-5R sensor has phase detection pixels on sensor!!! | sonyalpharumors

I saw this rumor this morning. I wondered when someone was going to bring something like the Nikon 1 focus system, but on a larger sensor (not sure if EOS-M offers an AF speed advantage?) It would seem like it is going to start being more and more difficult to sell APS-based DSLRs?

It also makes me wonder how long Sony will invest in SLT. I have heard there is also a light loss associated with PDAF receptors (right term?) on the sensor?
  2. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    As I understand it, the PDAF doesn't work in weaker light (at least on the Nikon 1 series). Still, this is all goodness. Proof will be in the pudding.

I haven't read great things about Canon's hybrid AF system on the T4i, whereas Nikon's (in good light) is supposed to be quick.

What about micro adjustment? Does sensor-based PDAF need it and, if so, is it being supported on these cameras? With the Nikon 1 series tiny sensor, the DOF might make it moot, but now we're talking APS-C with (theoretically) fast glass. MA issues may show up here. It'll be interesting to watch it develop.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I guess the good thing for Sony is that that if they changed from the translucent mirror to on-chip PDAF on their hybrid SLR/SLT models it changes little in the camera other than removing the mirror and existing PDAF system. It would even give them back the ~1/3 stop light loss from the mirror. Their biggest problem would be coming up with a new name :eek:
  4. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
  5. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, the idea is nice, it all depends on the implementation