Nex and Sigma 30mm do a few days of music and party !

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Wolf, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    In my homecity there is a whole week of music, party and drinking.

I went 3 days, and took the following shots
    all with nex c3 + 30mm 2.8 (don't have any other nex lenses atm)

you can find all photos and movies at
    Paulusfeesten 2012 - a set on Flickr

notice the guy in the background, with the pink glasses ;)

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I just got this combo. I really like the lens in some ways. It's sharp, contrasty and has nice rendering but I find the AF a bit slow and a little finicky. What's your experience with it?

3. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Same on m4/3.

4. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    that mans a tripod!

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I was wondering about that. Thought it might be. I am of two minds about this lens. In some ways it reminds me very much of the P20 on m43 (when attached to a E-P1). On m43 though it's a rather odd 60mm equivalent. At least on the NEX it's a 45/2.8. I really like the output but I am finding that I don't reach for it much.

6. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I actually like the reach. But for close work the AF insists, on back focusing on the background. But for people shots, with face detect, it works great. Seems to give a nice portrait look. Though I haven't tested it extensively. The wife will use it for family/church events.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Yeah, I don't even bother to try and close focus. I just grab my Vivitar 28/2 CF instead. I'll try some different settings and see what happens.

8. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I just use the Vivitar 24mm f2.8. An old stand by.

9. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    It's a sharp lens as you can see, focus is OK but not super fast. Some photos were taken with AF, which is easy to use with the smooth focus ring.
    What bothers me most is the fact that it wobbles when it's turned off and that it takes 3-5 secs switching from playback to taking photos...

10. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Focus ring is useless on mine.