NEX - C3 + Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Hyubie, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Got this lens just today, so I haven't had a chance to really go out and test it. My initial impressions are

(1) it has a nice build. A little heavy, but expected given its size and aperture. It's not so imbalanced that tripod is required.
    (2) Images are crisp so far, as long as the focus is nailed;
    (3) focus rings are a bit stiff, not silky smooth in operations, but it's a very small gripe on my part;
    (4) the included hood is flimsy. Again, at least it has a hood, right, Olympus?
    (5) it doesn't fit well on my EOS-Nex adapter. Rattles a little - and I'm pretty sure it's not the adapter as I tried other EOS lenses and they all are a good fit.
    (6) Bokehlicious. The background just melts. :cool:

Sample shots below (all @ f/1.4, otherwise why buy the lens, right? :wink: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Ahhh, you are discovering the pleasures of legacy glass on Nex:) Looking forward to your results!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/7263234700/" title="CLOSE by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"534" height="800" alt="CLOSE"></a>

Minolta 45mm f2.0 on Nex3

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I am. And indeed it is a pleasure. It is taking a leisurely drive along the Big Sur Coast Highway, whereas AF is driving to work. (I am not taking a dig at the cameras or the IQ here, but the process itself. :smile:)

I specifically bought the NEX for manual focus lens - I found them intriguing when I used them with m43. But I really didn't "buy" into it because nailing the focus is an iffy task - not that it's too hard for me (luckily I am blessed with 20/20 :biggrin:), but I need confirmation without zooming in. With m43, it was a side-show: I really didn't think I could build a manual focus kit with it.

With the NEX's focus peaking, it is just a joy. I don't even have a native NEX lens, and I don't mind buying lenses at their market price, because I know I will use them.

4. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well put - I feel the same way:)

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Welcome to the cult...there's a secret handshake and a newsletter :eek:.

There is just something about using a MF lens with the NEX that works so well and makes the process enjoyable. Focus peaking is really spectacular. I have a perfectly nice Panasonic GX1 and PL25 but to me the C3 with one of my old Konica lenses is something all together different. I don't have any native lenses with my NEX and I'm not sure I ever will. since picking up the NEX I have picked up a Konica 40/1.8, 50/1.7 and 200/3.5 and hope to add a 135/3.2. On m43 I wouldn't have bothered because it was simpler to go with native lenses and the results were better. I don't feel that way about the NEX. I think the results are superb and it's just as easy and fun to use manual focus.

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    oh you guys just stop it now......you're giving me the NEX fever!

7. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    C'mon Luke, give in to the darkside of the force :jedi:

8. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Enjoy your lens, the bokeh is very good from the samples I saw. I have the older version Zeiss 85mm 1.4. On nex it is close to 135mm f/2 full frame, which I like:

Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4