1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX Instant Savings Now Through September 29th

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that 5N is tempting......that's a LOT of camera for some low dough.

3. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    It certainly is.

4. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Pretty sweet little digital back for those with a bunch of cool legacy lenses. :thumbup:

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Arguably still the best there is since the NEX-7 doesn't have as good edge performance as the 5N with legacy wides.

6. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Legacy wides have purple fringing on the NEX7 as I have found out with both a 15mm and a 21mm Voigtlander. It is my understanding that the 5N does not have this problem.

7. Albany Nomads

Albany Nomads New to SC

Sep 25, 2012
    Hi Guys
    Im totally new to your forum..and very impressed with all the reviews and info and Im keen to go more compact with my cameras
    Question
    I have an OLD Minolta/Konica SLR which I have a Minolta AF lens 24 - 85 mm and a Tokina AF lens which covers 19 - 35 mm
    My question is can I add these Sony SLR compatable lenses to the Sony NEX camera range
    Much appreciated

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    One can adapt a lens of any mount (including yours) to the Sony NEX system. The lenses will be completely manual of course, so they need to have a manual aperture control on the lens.

9. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hi there!
    Your AF Minolta and Tokina should work on Sony Alpha cameras even retaining AF. On Nex, they would be fully manual, as Luke said.
    As Nex is more compact platform, it's probably better paired with smaller manual prime lenses (via appropriate adapter).
    Bigger and heavier zooms, especially the AF ones you already have, might be a better match for Alpha series of cameras.

10. Matt K

Matt K New to SC

Jul 22, 2010
    South Carolina
    So does anyone know if Sony plans to release more lenses for the NEX-7? The current offerings are pretty thin and my attempts at adapting legacy lenses haven't been amusing.

11. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Yes! There is a standard power zoom being released with the NEX6, and a 35/1.8 as well. I think Zeiss is also releasing 3 prime lenses next year for the NEX (and Fuji X).

12. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    I have enjoyed my 5N, only have a kit zoom, which is fine at f9. Touchscreen focus is very good. It forced me to learn the importance of white balance correction and its dynamic range gave me great pleasure: I can pull out shadows from nowhere and pull back highlights almost anywhere. People need to be patient, wait another, realistically say, 6 months to get the 35mm f1.8 and another 15 for the Zeiss primes. By that time Sony will have released another 2 bodies in the series. I am not people and so not that patient. I will be at Shiguma DP2M or a D600 by the time those lenses come around.