1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikkor 32 f1.2 or FT-1+Nikkor AF-S 50 1.4?

Discussion in 'Nikon 1 Forum' started by BruPri, Nov 13, 2013.

1. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Picked up a V1 and 18.5 1.8, wanted to know who has the 32 and what they think of it. The FT-1 would give me more lens options, perhaps a better DOF.
    Thanks,
    B

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 SC Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I honestly don't find the performance of DSLR lenses shot wide open that good on the V1. I've shot the 32mm 1.2 wide open and that lens is tack sharp. My vote goes to the 32mm!

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Mine too, but I don't own one :)

4. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Well, I've decided and the 32 1.2 was not in the cards. Not only did the front focus ring not work with a V1, sharpness and overall IQ was significantly better with the FT-1 + 50 f1.4G I had such high hopes for the 32 and grateful my local camera store had one in stock to try out.

5. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Focus ring not work with V1 !!
    I could live with that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Actually... I can't. If you're paying that much money for something, it ought to work properly with our favourite Nikon 1. I wonder if it was an issue with that copy or if its a known shortcoming which won't be fixed or changed.

[edit] According to firmware updates, version 1.30 of the firmware had support added for the 32 with focusing ring...

7. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I just saw that Sue, I may reconsider as I had v 1.20. I still thought the comparison showed the FT-1 and 50mm sharper with a bit better IQ, it does let in more light at the expense of weight, compactness and focus speed. I think the FT-1 wins in regard to flexibility

8. Ripleysbaby

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    You are right Sue, it should work. My firmware is up to date . If this was a fault I'm sure the internet would be littered with unhappy 32mm owners demanding refunds. With a bit of luck I won't be after a refund next week ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Ok, ok, I retract my previous statement and have returned the FT-1 / 50mm 1.4
    Stopped back by the camera store and confirmed the focus ring works on my V1, ordered a silver 32. focus is much faster and I probably was not holding the camera steady enough to get sharp pix (I set the cam to base ISO) I can live with 100-400 auto range.

10. IVN

IVN SC Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    The thing is, using lenses faster than f/1.8 is not recommended with the FT-1 adapter. Those round highlights in the bokeh area may get cut, which doesn't look pretty at all. Read Rob Galbraith's review for more info. In my opinion this is a serious disadvantage. However, 50mm f/1.4 on the V1 produces even smoother bokeh than 32mm f/1.2. I have posted photos shot with the 50mm f/1.4 C-Mount lens here, which should be comparable in regards to bokeh to a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 with the FT-1. Of course, the latter is most certainly a good deal sharper and easier to use (AF, metering, etc.).

• Like Like x 2
  11. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Here are a couple from today 18.5
    BP-5.

BP.

and a couple glamor shots with the Sigma DP-3 Merrill
    BP-3.

BP-4.

12. Ripleysbaby

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    The white ones are growing on me !

• Like Like x 1
  13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Is that the bolt-on grip? I've got a stick on from Flipbac but it wasn't really designed for the V1...

14. Ripleysbaby

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I had a flipbac on mine but after getting my second V1 body I found I preferred the body grip free. And still do.
    That's not to say I might change my mind in the future .

15. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I had the Franiec on my first one, this is a bit more substantial and still allows access for card/battery without removing. Nikon mades a black and a white one in the $70.00 (USD) range.

16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue