Nikon Nikkor 32 f1.2 or FT-1+Nikkor AF-S 50 1.4?

Well, I've decided and the 32 1.2 was not in the cards. Not only did the front focus ring not work with a V1, sharpness and overall IQ was significantly better with the FT-1 + 50 f1.4G I had such high hopes for the 32 and grateful my local camera store had one in stock to try out.

Focus ring not work with V1 !!
I could live with that. :)

Actually... I can't. If you're paying that much money for something, it ought to work properly with our favourite Nikon 1. I wonder if it was an issue with that copy or if its a known shortcoming which won't be fixed or changed.

[edit] According to firmware updates, version 1.30 of the firmware had support added for the 32 with focusing ring...

I just saw that Sue, I may reconsider as I had v 1.20. I still thought the comparison showed the FT-1 and 50mm sharper with a bit better IQ, it does let in more light at the expense of weight, compactness and focus speed. I think the FT-1 wins in regard to flexibility

Actually... I can't. If you're paying that much money for something, it ought to work properly with our favourite Nikon 1. I wonder if it was an issue with that copy or if its a known shortcoming which won't be fixed or changed.

[edit] According to firmware updates, version 1.30 of the firmware had support added for the 32 with focusing ring...

You are right Sue, it should work. My firmware is up to date . If this was a fault I'm sure the internet would be littered with unhappy 32mm owners demanding refunds. With a bit of luck I won't be after a refund next week ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, ok, I retract my previous statement and have returned the FT-1 / 50mm 1.4
Stopped back by the camera store and confirmed the focus ring works on my V1, ordered a silver 32. focus is much faster and I probably was not holding the camera steady enough to get sharp pix (I set the cam to base ISO) I can live with 100-400 auto range.

I just saw that Sue, I may reconsider as I had v 1.20. I still thought the comparison showed the FT-1 and 50mm sharper with a bit better IQ, it does let in more light at the expense of weight, compactness and focus speed. I think the FT-1 wins in regard to flexibility

The thing is, using lenses faster than f/1.8 is not recommended with the FT-1 adapter. Those round highlights in the bokeh area may get cut, which doesn't look pretty at all. Read Rob Galbraith's review for more info. In my opinion this is a serious disadvantage. However, 50mm f/1.4 on the V1 produces even smoother bokeh than 32mm f/1.2. I have posted photos shot with the 50mm f/1.4 C-Mount lens here, which should be comparable in regards to bokeh to a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 with the FT-1. Of course, the latter is most certainly a good deal sharper and easier to use (AF, metering, etc.).

Here are a couple from today 18.5
BP-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BP.jpg

and a couple glamor shots with the Sigma DP-3 Merrill
BP-3.jpg

BP-4.jpg

I had a flipbac on mine but after getting my second V1 body I found I preferred the body grip free. And still do.
That's not to say I might change my mind in the future .

I had the Franiec on my first one, this is a bit more substantial and still allows access for card/battery without removing. Nikon mades a black and a white one in the $70.00 (USD) range.

Back