1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon 1" Sensor P&S - P8000

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by serhan, Mar 10, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I didn't see this before whether it is posted here or not. Finally Nikon is bringing a 1" P&S, serious competition to RX100 and Canon G1X II, esp if they can keep the size closer to RX100 and have fast af from 1 series:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/04/updated-nikon-coolpix-p8000-camera-specifications.aspx/

• Like Like x 1
  2. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    viewfinder?

I love hearing about new cameras
    means the old ones get cheaper

3. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    It doesn't say but I am guessing that it might not have one esp if they keep the size smaller to match to that 24-120 lens in comparison to long zoom cameras like Stylus 1/RX10.

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, it's about time someone began using a one-inch sensor in a camera other than a Sony RX100 or a Nikon 1. Moreover, Nikon has to respond to Canon's G1X Mark II. If the Nikon P8000 has an EVF like the P7800, a faster lens than the Canon, and is slightly smaller and lighter, many people might be willing to go with the smaller sensor.

5. yakky

yakky SC Regular

Nov 30, 2013
    D2300 and P8000 both sound interesting, but I wonder how badly they will be crippled.

• Like Like x 1
  6. walter_g

walter_g SC Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Sounds interesting. I wonder what the price point will be, and will It hurt Nikon 1 sales.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'll be interested. If the body is at least as small or smaller than the current P7800. plus viewfinder.

8. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    If I didn't already have the V1, I might be interested...

9. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If the P8000 turns out to be what we - or at least I - hope it is, it could replace the X10 in my kit.

10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    None of the specs I have seen mention a VF.

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    That would be a shame, and remove it from interest. The V1 would then do me just fine. Actually, thinking about it logically... it will do me just fine in any case.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    If it has the IQ of the RX100 with a little better ergonomics, I might be interested.

13. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I tried to find my post from a few months back, (but failed) where I said I would like a 1" sensor with 24-120 zoom plus EVF. Originally I said the Sony 1" but if Nikon can improve on that, and provide either an in-built or optional EVF, that this could be a real temptation for me.

14. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Most probably it will have same Nikon 1 v3 sensor and external evf if they have that option, so we should know more about IQ of the sensor before its release...

15. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Doesn't the Sony RX10 meet your specs? Does that camera fall short for you?

16. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I dunno....I'd prefer something smaller than that really. It's not too much smaller as my Pentak K-r with a Sigma 17-70 lens, in fact it's only smaller in depth:
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#489,210.208,ha,t
    I'd be happier with a slightly slower lens if the camera was more like the V1 in size.