Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Really nice images given what a bust this camera was.
It was a financial bust - I don't think Nikon was ever committed to this part of the market and never priced it competitively until they got stuck with lots of inventory and then blew it out. I think if they'd priced it in line with the GR and (now) X70 at introduction, it would have done much much better, but they probably didn't think they'd make enough on it that way. So, as a money maker it was a bust, but as a CAMERA, it was never a bust - it's a great camera that was never given much of a chance to succeed in the market...

-Ray

It was a financial bust - I don't think Nikon was ever committed to this part of the market and never priced it competitively until they got stuck with lots of inventory and then blew it out. I think if they'd priced it in line with the GR and (now) X70 at introduction, it would have done much much better, but they probably didn't think they'd make enough on it that way. So, as a money maker it was a bust, but as a CAMERA, it was never a bust - it's a great camera that was never given much of a chance to succeed in the market...

-Ray
I meant financially. :D It was just priced way too high.

Well....it's been a year or two since I flirted with a Coolpix A. And, yes, in the interim, I spent some time with a very nice Ricoh GR. But somehow, the A has found its way back into my hands. And its refreshingly simple (the opposite of complicated) interface and shooting capabilities....are nicer than I remembered.

Both for black and white / monochrome conversions -

42793268.9cd4a5e5.1024.jpg

self-portrait with Coolpix
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

For close-up/macros -

42793556.d4fee224.1024.jpg

dessicated leaf

And just as a general small-but-powerful camera that's proving nice to have around -

42793560.23f51efe.1024.jpg

sleeping it off

I think the real surprise, so far, are the bokeh-capabilities of a lens that, in spite of its other stellar characteristics, is both wide and not all that 'fast'. Nice camera.

Haven't used the Coolpix A in awhile but it is such a pleasure to shoot with. And I think I see differently with it...or maybe it's just that I notice different things. Like this bread delivery truck, today, parked next to the local supermarket.

44420188.f94cced2.1024.jpg

BIG (the good bread)

I love this camera.

Haven't used the Coolpix A in awhile but it is such a pleasure to shoot with. And I think I see differently with it...or maybe it's just that I notice different things. Like this bread delivery truck, today, parked next to the local supermarket.

View attachment 124177
BIG (the good bread) by MiguelATF, on ipernity

I love this camera.
Cool image. I couldn't agree more. Every time I pull it out, I remember how much I like using it.
The only true pocket camera I have left beside the iPhone.
Nikon really got it all right with the Coolpix A.
I think they are missing an opportunity by not updated to a V2.

Cool image. I couldn't agree more. Every time I pull it out, I remember how much I like using it.
The only true pocket camera I have left beside the iPhone.
Nikon really got it all right with the Coolpix A.
I think they are missing an opportunity by not updated to a V2.

Total agreement. Every time I hold it, it feels like it's begging for me to take some photographs. Which is a strange thing to say but the only other two cameras I ever felt that way about were an ancient Leica IIIf (the first camera I ever used) - and a tiny Rollei 35. AND my Coolpix A. Pretty good company.

But, personally, it doesn't bother me one whit that Nikon never updated the Coolpix A. It does so many things so exactly right that, in my estimation, it doesn't really need updating.

But then, Nikon seems to be making some odd decisions. All those DLs we were expecting... now, nothing. The Nikon1 series, abandoned. Coolpix A, abandoned. I think I may have to abandon Nikon :(
Hang in there till the end of this year I say, there's reason to believe new things are on the way (there you go, an accidental rhyme - but seriously, it seems new products are on the way, Nikon's 100th birthday n'all that).

Hang in there till the end of this year I say, there's reason to believe new things are on the way (there you go, an accidental rhyme - but seriously, it seems new products are on the way, Nikon's 100th birthday n'all that).
I'm not holding my breath. Funny, though, since I bought the RX1R II, I haven't picked up the Coolpix A. I just took the DF and RX1 for my two months in the south. And damned if I didn't miss the Coolpix A. I'm gonna head into Philly for a day of shooting in the next week or so and I know I'm gonna take the RX1 because that's exactly the kind of thing I bought it for. But I'm really sort of wanting to take the Coolpix instead. I'll definitely get around to it - it may be my favorite camera of all time - it's just getting squeezed out of the rotation at the moment, but it'll make it's way back in...

-Ray

Two more from the Coolpix, taken on a cloudy day, threatening rain. The subject: an ancient rusted Plymouth sedan, parked alongside a rural highway near the small Oregon town where I live, with a faded 'For Sale' sign barely visible under the windshield -

The first, taken head on -

44664136.f1c218c9.1024.jpg

Plymouth For Sale

The second, taken from the side, in profile - and processed in black and white, with the feel of a slightly older photograph -

44665314.6613faf0.1024.jpg

Parked Plymouth

Seems like every time I shoot with this camera, I get reminded, again, of why I like it so much.

Some evening and night CP A photos from earlier this week:

DSC_1379.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1427.JPG

DSC_1380.JPG

Back