Nikon COOLPIX A - Initial Impressions

Ray, the difference between 12bit and 14bit is likely similar to the difference between K30 (12bit) and K5 (14bit): less than one stop of difference in measured dynamic range, not much difference in high ISO. Ming Thein said he is going to review GR too when it is available. Looking forward to your comparison too.

Ray, the difference between 12bit and 14bit is likely similar to the difference between K30 (12bit) and K5 (14bit): less than one stop of difference in measured dynamic range, not much difference in high ISO. Ming Thein said he is going to review GR too when it is available. Looking forward to your comparison too.
Why would Ricoh choose 12 instead of 14? Is it just a matter of processing power or is it the basic sensor? It doesn't sound like a huge deal, but something approaching a stop of DR isn't nothing - could have something to do with how workable the raw files are, no?

-Ray

Here's Steve Huff's quick review:

The Nikon Coolpix A Quick Review: Amazing quality in the palm of your hand | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

After using it for 4-5 days I can state that my mind has somewhat been changed on this little guy, almost to the point where I prefer it in some ways to the Fuji X100s (but not in every way). To me, the IQ can beat the X100s, the RX100, the Nikon V1/V2 and the Leica M8 with 24mm Lens (which will be closest to a 28mm focal length) but it does not beat the RX100, X100s and M8 in usability simply due to the fact it has no viewfinder installed.

Focus Speed
The AF of the Nikon Coolpix A is decent but not blazing. It is about on par with the old X100 and the latest firmware updates. The Olympus OM-D is quicker, the Sony RX100 is quicker and the X100s is quicker. The “A” is on par with the full frame Sony RX1 when it comes to AF speed. Not bad, but not amazingly fast.

If the GR did not exist, and the A could turn off its LCD, I would have bought one already. Those two issues are why I do not have the Nikon A. It looks like a very capable camera and has almost everything I want in a GRD/GXR/M9/M240 pocketable alternative.

As it stands, the GR is USD$300 less, actually $450 less in Australia, which is enough to buy a LX7, a Voigtlander lens, a pile of batteries, lunch for weeks, petrol for about five refills, nine good lapdances, etc. It's not an inconsiderable price jump.

I'm beginning to think that auto-focus is becoming the Rorschach test of modern cameras - people see what they want to see. Or maybe most serious camera reviewers spend so much time with the very fastest AF DLSRs that everything else just feels varying degrees of inadequate.... I've shot with a lot of CDAF systems now and each one requires you learn its quirks a little bit. For example, with the Fuji, you really need to feed it some element of VERTICAL contrast to get it to lock on in low light - sometimes that means turning the camera slightly during pre-focus to make something horizontal at least partly vertical. With the GXR, just pull up a chair - it'll lock on eventually but it could be a while. With the RX1, remember to open up the aperture for fastest focus in low light - it doesn't do it automatically. But its actually been a while since I've picked up a new camera and thought, this is just SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW. The Fuji X-Pro was probably the slowest, recent-est example I can think of when it was new (the longer the lens, the slower it was/is), but firmware updates have improved its AF speed a good bit in its year of life.

But two of the three cameras I've tried most recently, the RX1 and the Coolpix A, seem to have developed reputations as being really slow AF cameras. And the X100s is sometimes spoken of as the second coming of the OMD. And I'm just not seeing any of it. The RX1 isn't blazingly fast, but its far from slow. In low light when you could call what it does "hunting", its one quick trip out and back and then it locks on - maybe a half second or so? And in good light its much better than that. The Coolpix A is pretty much the same, it feels plenty quick to me in good light and not bad at all in low light. Ming Thein's Ricoh GR review seems to agree on the Nikon and finds the Ricoh a bit faster in good light but obnoxiously slow in low light. I'm wondering if I'll notice. Frankly his description of the GR sounds a lot like my impression of the GXR 28 in low light, which is definitely slow, but it locks on. And the X100s, the AF wunderkind supposedly, slots right in with these. A bit faster in really good light maybe, but they're all pretty good in good light. But just about equally slow (but reliable) in low light.

And yet I read reviews that have these cameras all over the place from amazing to terrible and I just don't see any of them in any of these extremes (judgement reserved on the GR in low light). Maybe I'm just not as sensitive as some because I tend to use zone focus for anything that's moving and so they're ALL fast when all you have to worry about is basically non-existent shutter lag. But its not like I don't use these cameras in auto-focus too, so I know how they feel in use. And I'm just not seeing the variation. Maybe I should go shoot with the hottest Nikon or Canon sport's shooting DSLRs for a while so I can become adequately jaded about these CDAF cameras. I'm sure that ANY of these CDAF auto-focus cameras can be frustrating on some shots if you're trying to get something and its just a fraction of a second slow.

Bottom line, I don't think the Coolpix A is slow or unreliable at all. Its not a speed demon, but its reasonably quick. None of these cameras have AF that's great for action (other than the newer m43 bodies and Nikon "1" series), but they're good for most anything else in my experience. And the Nikon A slots right in there, not amazingly good, but far from bad...

-Ray

I don't think the Coolpix A is slow or unreliable at all. Its not a speed demon, but its reasonably quick.

I would agree with this. It wasn't the fastest, but more than usable. One thing that might trip testers up is that the Nikon Coolpix A seems to focus at the set aperture, so at f8 or f11 there is less light coming through the lens while the depth of field is greater potentially making for less accurate focus. I hit that indoors a couple of times where it wouldn't lock on until I opened the lens up to 2.8.

-Thomas

I think how you use the AF on the camera is going to determine your sensitivity to how slow or fast a particular camera is. I do occasionally rely on a fast and reliable autofocus speed to get a particular shot so I have an appreciation for the difference between truly fast AF and not quite fast enough. On the other hand, I personally find (to give an example) the comparison of sensor performance at very high ISOs as fairly irrelevant because I don't ever use it, so debate on that particular subject goes right over head. By happy coincidence, having reliably fast AF in something like street photography means that you're not needing to use small apertures for large DOF and therefore don't need inflated ISO settings as a consequence.

I purchased the Coolpix A, fretted, returned it, considered it again for about two weeks, purchased again.

I know, it sounds idiotic......In fact, it is idiotic. However, I am now clear that it is a great camera and I have no regrets.

Here were my initial regrets:

1. The V1 pricing debacle: I was thinking the "A" so incomplete that it would surely suffer the same fate as the V1 and everyone who purchased the the thing at full initial retail would regret it and wind up feeling like a fool.
2. The Ricoh GR was going to blow it away from a performance and price standpoint; there would be no reason to choose the "A: over the GR.
3. Initial dissatisfaction with the "A" would cause Nikon to shuffle back to the drawing board and bring forth "A.2" with numerous new features, e.g. tilting LCD, that I would lust after.
4. The GR is $300.00 cheaper.
5. The RX1 is so nice and, maybe, worth the extra money.
6. The "A", while compact, is not a true pocket camera...........Maybe "A.2" would be smaller yet.
7. What I perceived to be focus problems.
8. Maybe the x100s would be cooler.

Once I returned it the items I fretted over gradually faded as I recalled the great handling and image quality. It does fit in the pocket of my baggy shorts. Resolution is out of this world. Metering is excellent. The RAW files are superb.

1. So what if Nikon drops the price. In doing so, they will likely have to figure out a way to make it cheaper. Who knows where/if the quality will have to be cut.
2. It does not look as though the Ricoh is superior, or even equal to the "A" when it comes to image quality. I have seen here, and on Ming Thein's blog where the "A"s metering and color for the "A" are superior. My own eyes tell me the images are spectacular.
3 If generational difference is going to be a factor, it will likely have a greater effect on the RX1 than the "A." My gut says the next RX1 will have a tilt LCD; I am doubtful Nikon will include one on the next A. Spending $3,000.00 on an RX1, only to see a tilting LCD on the next rendition would send me into transports of regret. Besides, I do not even really like the configuration of Nikon tilting LCDs.
4. The GR is made in China while the "A" is made in Japan. I have no doubt the Chinese make a great product; however, this could well explain the $300.00 difference. I will pay $300 for the Japanese assurance of quality.
5. See 3, above
6. It is hard to imagine they will be able to reduce size by much. I am sure size was a major consideration in the design/engineering of the "A" . I would not want sacrifice any IQ for size reduction.
7. If focuses as well as any compact I have ever owned. Maybe better. I think I go sucked in by the blogosphere on this one.
8. The x100s is cooler, although likely not a better camera.

I had to get this off of my chest. I think I will go out in the yard and take pictures of the birds, dog, flowers, wife working in garden..........

Fell prey to GAS but the price was too good to let it pass... not sure if the owner didn't realise what these are going for on eBay these days or just wanted a quick sale, but I picked one up for $300NZD. Now the painful wait for delivery. Rationalised the purchase by virtue of the fact my GXR has a dust speck in its 28mm lensor module (c'mon Ricoh would it have killed you to add a sensor clean/remap option?) and I really like 28mm. Camerasize indicates this thing is larger than my E-PM2/GM1 but thinner if you put the 14mm on them. Anywho... will post pics when it arrives... also eyeing up Aki-Asahi skins for it too...

Quick shot down the valley... seems nice and the interface is pretty familiar to anyone thats used a Nikon before. Keen to take this out a bit more for some urban/street snaps. Will see how it compares to my E-PM2 and GM1 as a compact shooter.

View attachment 459464DSC_3611 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
The A will no doubt have better image quality than the GM1 (source: I own an original GR and a GM1) but of course it lacks the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. When my GR was working properly, I would often pair it with the GM1 + Olympus 25/1.8 as a very compact shooting duo. The GR would handle wide angle duties and the GM1 did portraits, which you can now do with the Coolpix A. I still regret not picking up a refurbished silver model some years ago, as today it would look like a vintage digicam that no one would take seriously. Congratulations on your new camera!

Back