Nikon Nikon Df in Nescafé tv ad.

Name
Ian
I was watching the latest series of Guitar Star on UK TV last night when there was a break for the ads. Now I don't take much notice of TVs advertising unless something grabs me that's really slick or clever, when an ad. for Nescafé Azero Coffee on the Go came up on screen. It featured a girl making coffee in a styrofoam mug and then carrying it on the street. Turned out she's a photographer and there's a mini second clip of the corner of her camera which looked familiar. Sure enough on pause and rewind it turned out to be a silver Df.
Some art director with a bit of taste (no pun intended).

Funny, innit? That advert grates on my nerves. Why on earth would anyone buy incredibly expensive for what they are pre-prepared plastic cups of ghastly coffee when you can go out and get ghastly coffee anywhere? Yes, I know it's supposed to be early in the morning but for goodness' sake she is supposed to be cool and stylish (telegraphed by the fancy silver camera which she is using hand-held, of course). She is in an urban environment. Surely she would have a decent cup at home and not climb up onto rooftops with one hand occupied by a plastic cup, or wait until she came down again and go to a proper (preferably Italian) coffee shop. Aargh!

Cool. Not as funny as the Fuji X100 that showed up in a Nikon ad not long ago (don't recall the specifics, sorry), but cool anyway. Then again, it just feeds the fiction that the DF is mostly a fashion accessory. But that's OK - haters gotta have something to hate...

-Ray

That's not possible, Luke ;)

Actually, that's nothing. I reserve a very special circle of hell for the producers and creative directors of the adverts which have a well-known song of some sort sung r e a l l y s l o o o w l y in a weedy, reedy trembly voice by a nano-celebrity singist who was once thrown out of a group that came fourth equal in a sing-off on a tacky talent show that was won by a tap-dancing ocelot. There are ad breaks that are infested by two or three of these abominations, back to back. Worst of all is when they drop out a line just to fit it in to their 24 second slot. My brain comes to a juddering halt at that point.

It also plays holy havoc with my propensity to earworms...

Even crankier? Moi...?

Worst of all is when they drop out a line just to fit it in to their 24 second slot. My brain comes to a juddering halt at that point.

Ahhhh... so it seems that I'm not the only one who absolutely detests that...?! :eek: It REALLY grates on me. I fail to understand why any producer of advertisements might think that it's a good idea to assail the listeners' sensibilities with such................. garbage! (Whew, I just managed to exercise enough restraint to avoid committing a [probable] forum language violation there...;))

Oooooh. Walmart has it. :coffee-79:

When I was a kid instant coffee was very popular in the US. Purportedly it was a hold over from the GIs who got used to drinking it during WWII and the Korean War. Now it's almost like you have to go to crack house (or Walmart) to see it.

I confess the older I get the more picky I become particularly with food and drink. I am the founder member of the "no pizza outside Italy" club and close to "no coffee outside Italy" too. The only things that hold me back are the continued existence of decent, old-school, Italian coffee shops in London and the occasional foray to France, where they almost get it right. You will only see me in a Starbucks to charge my 'phone...

My brother lives in Italy. He's a member of the "no pizza outside Italy" club as well. Until I heard about an Italian family which runs a small pizzeria 10 km from my house. You'll only know that you're not in Italy when our weather hits you in the face once you're outside. Inside, it's a real Italian pizzeria: no romantic stuff, just small tables, lots of light and great food. They're such a hit nowadays that they often don't pick up the phone since they can't fulfill current orders. Their pizza got the seal of approval from my brother's family, so I'm good.... But I find Nescafé horrible.

In India, I was surprised how coffee at our educational center was hot milk with Nescafe. Brewed coffee was often called black coffee. I was fine with the Nescafe while I was there and tried it once I got home but it wasn't the same. Local magic and all that.

Yeah.... I have a friend from Nigeria who loves his Nescafé with milk, but dislikes regular coffee. I've always seen that as evidence that Nescafé has little in common with regular coffee. ;-)

Well, I am off to Italy next Monday for the festival of Calendimaggio at Assisi. Got to say I am looking forward to seeing and tasting great coffee and food for a whole week! There won't be a "bucket" of CostaNerBucks, nor Kentucky Fried Faeces` (saw the BBC news yesterday) anywhere near me.

Back