Nikon Has 'New Concept' Camera in Works - Hints at Mirrorless Design

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    According to an interview given at Bloomberg, Nikon President Makoto Kimura stated that Nikon has plans to intoduce a "new concept" camera, possibly within this fiscal year or next. The new model is said to have enhanced video and possibly a mirrorless design.

Although this is getting wide coverage, it's not much of a news item. We all know that Canon and Nikon will get into the mirrorless interchangeable lens market. It's just a matter of when and how.

Source: Bloomberg via 1001 Noisy Cameras
  2. Underneath

Underneath SC Rookie

Jul 6, 2010
    Being a life-long Nikon man, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Nikon to hit this market. They are notoriously conservative to a fault, last to market, and have not innovated beyond the DSLR segment since the mid-nineties with their under-appreciated swivel body Coolpix cameras. Their only stab at a serious compact, the P6000, was lackluster at best, and they've shown no signs of understanding why it's not a great camera.

This "micro format" Nikon rumor has been swirling for a while, and the latest patents submitted by Nikon indicate roughly a 17mm image circle. That would seem to imply a 2.5-2.7 crop. That's tiny. What's more, Nikon has built about 2 pancake lenses in it's roughly century-old history. If this system isn't VERY compact with tiny, fast, amazing glass, then it's already dead.

Despite being a Nikon lifer, Mr. Kimura has been very busy making statements since he accepted the position a few weeks ago. So who knows? I'm hoping he'll bring some desperately needed vision to Nikon's non-DSLR (and DSLR) lines. Maybe this system has been waiting in the wings for a while. And Photokina would be the time to unleash some new weapons.