1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikon Releases All Weather & Underwater Nikon 1 Body

Discussion in 'Nikon 1 Forum' started by RT Panther, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    FINALLY someone gets it! I'm not sure if this is my perfect execution of the large-sensor waterproof camera concept, but this is a very exciting development for me! I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure! Too bad I really don't have any money to spend on cameras right now... or maybe just as well :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I think this is a brilliant move.

3. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Price is finally right too!
    2 underwater lenses & body for $1000 USD or just the 11-27 for $800 USD

4. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is a brilliant move and I already want this camera (but I think I will wait until it's on sale) :biggrin:

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Good news for those wanting this kind of thing. Thats wont be me, havent been in the water for years :)

6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Wow, that's pretty cool!

7. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    [places credit card in safe. backs away from the computer.]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    retroboy over here wishes they had included an optical viewfinder like the old Nikonos ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nikonos-V_img_1851.jpg

But I think it's awesome anyways. I have long believed that cameras should ALL be rugged and weatherproof.....bonus that this thing can go underwater to 15m (!)

9. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Last time I went to Sea World, I took my Olympus TG. I just might have a replacement for next summer water fun! :smile:

10. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I see everyone else already beat me to the most appropriate word -- Brilliant!

11. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    John, you WILL own this camera. Why are you resisting? If this shouldn't be strapped to the handlebars of a bike, I don't know what should be!

• Like Like x 5
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    also, on a separate note, dpreview needs a new description for "body-type" on it's specifications section. Calling the X100 or X20 a "rangefinder-type" body is acceptable because even though there is no rangefinder mechanism, you are still looking through a viewfinder located at top left in a rectangular body. But this camera that has NO viewfinder should NOT be called that.

Maybe ILC point and shoot?

• Like Like x 1
  13. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    They're still calling the entire Olympus E-P* "rangefinder type"....:smile:

14. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  15. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick SC Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Looking at the pop-up flash, I can't help but think this has to be an Achilles Heel (pardon the mixed metaphors:) for waterproof-ness. Nice to see something beyond the usual ...Mark 781 thinking tho.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    You can use it at the next Songkram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqkQWj_u38E

15 meters is one thing, but can it stand up to a water pistol? ;)

I think this is awesome. I was surprised that Sony didn't make a waterproof NEX first since they seem to be making a lot of their products waterproof now.

17. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a problem, there're underwater shooting setups that use off-camera flash with fiberoptic cables. But it'll be interesting to see the extent to which that pop-up flash also complies with the 2m drop-ability; I'm quite sure it won't be worth much if you drop the camera with the flash extended, and that would probably be the end of the flash' waterproofing, too...
    By the way, did the 1 series always have a fastest shutter speed of 1/16.000th?

18. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    What Achilles Heel? :wink:
    -> http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...news_article\data\BV-PR-WWA19092013-Nikon1AW1

:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

EDIT: This is such an obvious move, I can't understand why we don't already have something like a rugged, waterproof Olympus E-PL5 or E-PM2. Heck, no one would question the price of the Oly E-P5 if it was ruggedized and waterproof.