Nikon Nikon Releases All Weather & Underwater Nikon 1 Body

I wonder why it says on the lens specs that the hood can not be used under water ? But I understand why it may interfere with its ability to resist shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This strikes me as a really clever development of the Nikon 1 system. As pricey as the original but this one has unique features that a certain market will be happy to pay for.

Interesting concept but it does not seem to be a camera for divers. Probably more suitable for swimming and snorkeling, which is OK. As long as I don't know what 15m means, I would not dare to bring the camera with me below 1m. Holding the camera in your hand while moving your hands under water increases pressure considerably. But.... it would be a huge step if it is indeed possible to use the camera until 15m. Cleaning the housing is always a timeconsuming job that must be done carefully. Just rinsing it afterwards without any further need to clean is attractive!

I'm definitely rethinking this. The weather turned a bit sour here yesterday, finally got a whole lot of rain and I remembered one of the reasons I hung onto the K5, that being weatherproofing. A waterproof Nikon 1 would be just the ticket.

I'm rethinking the AW1 too. But I cant Help thinking that I would get buyers remorse because of the lack of viewfinder

I don't snorkel or suba dive. Can you even use a VF underwater? Or is this just for "Landlubber" shooting?

I wear glasses for reading , and quite strong ones too. So to compose and check focus and review. Glasses on. Then off again to enjoy the scenery. Now bring to the equation wet and cold weather, add a little wind also. Glasses become a nuisance . They steam up for a start. So I can't see the point of a fab little tough camera I can't use in inclement weather. I don't swim or snorkel either but I spend most of my time outdoors walking and climbing in one of the wettest areas of England . An EVF is a must have for me.
I have two V1's and four lenses. I like the system. But for a little extra cash the olympus omd (the first one) seems a better option.
I can't help thinking a heck of a lot of people would like the AW1 but won't buy based on the lack of vf.
Mirrorless cameras have been a godsend to me for the reading glasses issue. At the weekend I got to test drive my mates D7100. A great camera for sure. But my glasses were up and down like a yoyo. It's no fun !

Back