Nikon Nikon shuts down Nikon 1 System

The big fail: Nikon shuts down the Nikon 1 system - 43 Rumors

I'm still amazed how they handled this as badly as they did. Maybe one inch sensors ILCs just don't fit in anywhere. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they do new on the mirrorless front.

It has been very quiet on all Nikon MILC fronts, although the executives say they are fully supporting the N 1 system (and the Photokina Nikon booth had a lot of Nikon 1 gear on display, but zero new items).

Lets hope something happens before Nikon fades away (all companies disappear one day), or we do (that is also very sure)!

Their top of the line telephoto lens almost had me buy into the system........but the cameras were all too small and fiddly. :cautious:

You have surely missed an experience! The latest (J5) is, image-wise, almost as good as my modern Nikon FX camera, and that is really awesome. its dynamic range isn't quite as good, naturally, but surprisingly close.

According to those in the know, the 70-300CX is design-wise (lots of expensive glass) very close to the famous 200/2.0, an even more expensive lens.

Shooting side-by-side with a superbly sharp Sigma 150-600 Sports @ 600mm, with a D3300 attached, and the J5 with the 70-300CX @ 300mm, there is very little difference in image quality, if any. I have also shot the moon with the Sigma with the V2, and compared the images with those shot with the J5 + the 70-300CX, naturally having to crop the J5 image a lot to get the same size of image, and there was not a huge difference (the J5 becoming a little softer due to the hefty enlargement).

These DL cameras, if they ever appear on the market in their planned form, are, as presented, an odd bunch. Some have the latest lens coatings, but not all, some are very expensive, some not, .....

The DL18-50 is nearly 4 months late. I have to wonder the *huge* errors they made, and I emphasized huge because I've seen several thousand "pool" ads for it starting about 8 months ago.

Back