1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

No Dropbox but...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, May 17, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Herman, you must have been hearing all the talk about Dropbox lately? I use it and it works great. As some commentators have been saying, if you want secure data then don't have data.

For cloud backup I would absolutely go with a brand name and not some fly by night operation (not commenting on Spideroak as I know nothing about them). Amazon S3 is the most reliable (they aren't going away) but it requires some technical knowhow to use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Andrew for your reply, I'm aware about Dropbox security talk lately. That's why I took a look to an alternative.
    Let's wait and see what other members suggest.

4. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Any links to the "dropbox" talk? I have been using them -- though it's nothing too sensitive that I store there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I've not heard any talk about Dropbox but I have read a few design and technical bloggers reacting to the talk. So I'm not exactly sure what the talk is. But like many others have said, if you put your data online you simply have to accept a certain amount of risk. If you have the patience you can read the terms of service.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I only put first drafts of my fiction on Dropbox. They suck enough that if anyone really wants to torture themselves with them, they're welcome to. :)

Seriously, though, I don't put anything private on Dropbox -- or any other third-party server (with the possible exception of my e-mail).

• Like Like x 1
  7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I dont put anything in any of those places which are private. passwords, cc details etc, are all at home.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    I just wonder who's too encrypting files at home? To go save all the way.