1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noccalula Falls, Gadsden, AL

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Djarum, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Sunday was rather gray and dreary, but we made an outting down to Gadsden, AL to Noccalula Falls.

P2197935sc.JPG

P2197949sc.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very cool spot! How far back does that open area under the falls go? Can you walk back in there? If so, I bet some great photo opportunities from back there looking out through the falls...

-Ray

3. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Ray,

Thanks. There is a trail that goes down there, however, it's only open from first of march to end of september. During these months though, this watefall is only a trickle usually accross the waterfall. The cave underneath really isn't that big, just appears to be so because of the shadows being dark. The statue is there because of some legend(probably fictional) about a cherokee princess plunging to her death because she did not want to marry who she was betrothed to.

I do plan on going back down there at some point. The key though is going just after a heavy rain. We have many waterfalls here in Alabama, but most are very dependent upon rainfall.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    How lovely, well caught!

5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    That is cool looking! Hmmm ... a weather sealed camera would be great for the from inside of the cave photo!

6. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Armanius,

That hasn't stopped me before, lol. Last few hikes I was on I had water dropplets all over the kit lens and e-pl2. I just dry everything off really good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seems like a place full of photographic opportunities.

8. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Hehe. Just trying to justify yet another purchase! :)

9. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    hehe, I hear ya. I do lots of this type of photography, waterfalls, that is, and if the DR of the E-M5 has improved dramatically, I might bite. It's tough to get shadow detail and highlight detail with shots like these.

10. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    HDR!!

a