Northeast Cruise vacation with NEX-3

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by summerkl, Oct 14, 2010.

1. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Here's a few of my favorites - all taken with the kit lens and pped with LR3. Hope you enjoy them.

As I continue to learn how to catch light, I am open to comments & critiques (be gentle please :dance3:)

Boston Public Library

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone can advise on how to get rid of the CA in this image, please advise. I have already used the LR3 control at quite a high setting to remove it

New York Various

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bar Harbor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saint John, NB and Halifax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. neilvan

neilvan SC Regular

Sep 25, 2010
    Beautiful BC, Canada
    There are some real gems there, I really like the city photos, especially the off-kilter one, great composition and colour!

Thanks for sharing.

3. James Murphy

James Murphy SC Rookie

Oct 2, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Absolutely. I know composition is a really personal thing, and I love the way you do it. Makes me want a NEX. Good work.

4. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Great pics! I like the speeding train photo and the aspect ratio on the two boat pictures. Did you crop them? Still loving my NEX despite all the negative stuff around :)

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nice work Kevin - I'd crop the CA out given where it is in the pic.

6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I was sure I had posted on this thread because as soon as I looked at these I felt the same as pretty much everyone else - except I don't seem to notice "CA" much which is probably a great blessing.

2, 3, 4, 5 and 12 are my favorites. :biggrin: Love the Flat Iron building shot, and of course the speeding train... Gee, if I'd been around, it would have been fun to say howdy in the big city.

Yes, this is a dangerous thread...it does make one feel a pull towards that NEX with it's articulating screen.:wink:

7. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have BB to thank for the nudge of using the LR3 contrast adjustment and voila "popping" images. It if helps anyone, the borders I added were from a free plug-in I found for LR3. There's more options in it than I have been able to try. Here's the link LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2

As to composition, I have the wily veterans of the forums who stress taking the time to compose the shot which in turn leads to having only to crop one of these images (the one with the 3 boats) :) My tip for improving your speed of composition - bring your spouse along who will offer encouraging words of support like "Hurry up", "Not again", "How many times do you need to take a picture of that" :laugh1:

The NEX sure is fun and it is helping stretch my creative eye. By the way, I'm an accountant so it wasn't too hard to stretch :)

Lastly, thanks Bill, some times the simplest solution is the best solution :doh:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks for the great shots taken with the NEX camera. The color output is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1