1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not an SC, but fun purchase story (fun for me)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by wt21, Mar 1, 2013.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I have been really thinking about what I need, and I came to the conclusion I needed to upgrade my FF body. The ol' 5D classic needs a refresh. Considered 5Dii, Nikon, etc. Finally, I started considering the 6D. Hmmmm.... good high ISO, reasonable AF (a little behind Nikon), small body, keep all my lenses. OK. 6D.

Where to buy? Well, B&H can ship it here by Tuesday. I usually like to get it from B&H, but my girls have events this evening. Maybe a local store. I call Grumpy Gus (that's what I call him) at one of my local camera stores. They're asking $2000. "Do you price match?" I ask. It's $1860 on line. I get put on hold. After 10 minutes of hold music I hang up. Ah! BestBuy! Look them up, sure enough! They have the camera listed at $1859 and in stock. 15 min away.

Drive over, find an associate (which wasn't easy!). "Your sign says $2000. Online it says $1859. Is it $1859?" They verify -- yup. They'll do $1859. Ring up, talking to clerk while signing the receipt, I ask -- "can I just check, to make sure it has a battery" as I plan to use it in 4 hours -- open it up. Camera is not wrapped, battery is in camera, and strap is attached to camera. Open box item. Walk over to customer service, for a 10% credit. While doing the credit, we also realize manuals are in Spanish only?!? There's a CD in here that isn't from a 6D?!?! Also, the battery looks like it's been through "Will it Blend!" What the heck?!?

Manager grabs me a brand new 6D, and still gives me the 10% off :)

Best Buy is price matching to online! Oh! And no suspicious security guard at the front and their music was turned down. And I won a round of "open box roulette" lol. I might have to start shopping there again, though I still love B&H.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Good for you! You'll have to let us know how that little FF is!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 SC Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    My word wt21! How many cameras have you purchased this week? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Hey, I got the XE1 last week!

Actually, it was playing with the XE1 that made me realize what I wanted -- FF and m43. Right where I was a year ago!

5. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Sometimes it's good to touch what we don't have and remind ourselves there is a reason we love what we do have..