not for nuthin' anybody watchin' march madness???

Also can't help noticing that even with Dennis Lillee firing them down at 150K there's not a helmet in sight. Batsmen were made of sterner stuff back then.
Hear, hear! I agree sportsmen in general were made of something sterner….and these fellas had to hold down a full-time job too - sports paid bugger-all back then.

Hear, hear! I agree sportsmen in general were made of something sterner….and these fellas had to hold down a full-time job too - sports paid bugger-all back then.

More to the point, when athletes were cheap the leagues felt no need to protect them from injury. I still remember watching Gump Worsley play goalie (ice hockey) without a mask. He stands out because, given my age, I never saw anyone else do that in the pros.

With all of the high seeds falling in the first weekend, I'd venture a guess that Buffett's billion is safe... I grew up in Tucson and while my pro loyalties are all over the place, Arizona is always my collegiate favorite - they were the ONLY game in town back then (the Suns were there, but they were a Phoenix team, not really an Arizona team until later in the '70s, after they made the finals agains the Celtics in '76). So my Cat's are still in it, but they have Gonzaga tonight and Gonzaga's always knocking higher seeds out early, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not a huge college hoop fan (although Lord knows, living in Philly I should be), but the next two weeks of the tourney are always exciting and I'll get into it. Just have to get past the bloody first weekend intact and then what's left of the cream usually starts rising...

-Ray

i hope everyone's watching kentucky vs wichita state! wow!

Yeah, an amazing game. I hated the outcome, but what an incredibly well played game. I can't stand that UK program, particularly with Calamari as coach. Hated it back to Adolf Rupp. Wichita State is a really fun team to watch and I think they proved their worth even in losing. But I'd have really enjoyed seeing them in the next round. Now with Kentucky, just one more team to root against...

-Ray

yes to both posts! the whole game was free throws, ky made all theirs, shockers missed all theirs. iive seen a lot of ky games this yr and this was by far the best game they played. some might say they played over their heads. i would be in that 'some'.

i picked loiusville to win it all, so...on to friday!

Well, I don't like Pitino either, so I guess I'll have to be against both teams somehow... Two more hateful self-promoters I'm not aware of, but at least they don't like each other either, so I've got THAT in common with 'em. One of them is gonna have to lose, so that's good, but if only both of them could... :cool:. I liked the rivalry back in the days of Denny Crum, who was cool, and Joe B. Hall, who wasn't. At least then Louisville was the hip urban school and easy to root for agains the evil empire.Now there's no silver lining...

-Ray

My goodness - this Arizona - Gonzaga game is going like 1000 mph. Not very competitive at this point, but a fun track meet to watch. Arizona is my team and they're always good, but they're looking incredible right now. Just swarming, causing turnovers, sweeping the boards, getting lots of easy shots. And this is against a good team.

Did I say not very competitive? In the time it took to type this on my iPad, it's verging on a blowout.

-Ray

Back