1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

November Reflections

Discussion in 'Ricoh Forum' started by jimmy2thou, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    After a long summer in Spain, the winter is drawing in and the rain has started to fall. Quite a lot! The river beds are no longer dry and I'm seeing reflections everywhere.

6424078287_d1c67265a3_z.

6424078637_2c97f8ec6c_z.

6424078993_94375ae793_z.

6424079515_71bc86e94b_z.

6424080787_891cc59c1e_z.

6424080203_ac0490d04b_z.

This is a reflection from the roof of my car

6424080437_de1b632615_z.

Bright blue skies and 20oC today. That's my kind of winter! :)

• Like Like x 11
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Really nice, particularly the first and the last two.

-Ray

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Great work, really like #4

4. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    WOW!! SO sharp and superb colours/atmosphere. What Camera/lens?

5. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Beautiful shots. Love the sky on the first one.

6. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Thanks everyone! :)

Sorry, I forgot to mention they were taken with my GRD III

For anyone that is interested, I recently found this little tutorial for giving a slightly more vintage look to photos. I wanted something like this for creating nicer greens in foliage. I followed it and added a few of my own tweaks. Also, if you record a new action in photoshop as you follow it, you can have it at hand whenever you want it. It doesn't work for all photos, but as I mentioned photos with green foliage seem to work well.

Vintage Effect

James

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I'm just gonna have to remind myself (FORCE myself) to use my GRD3 more like that. I almost always use it for B&W, on the street, at relatively high ISO. Which its great for. But its great for so much more. I've only taken a few really crisp color shots with that camera but I know its capable!

-Ray

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Wonderful Jimmy - and long time no see! Wow, my favorites are your color ones, though each one stands alone beautifully. If I had to choose just one, I'd be torn between #3 and #5.

So many great cameras - in my weaker moments I want them all.:blush:

9. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Thanks BB :)

It has been a while. I've been taking lots of photos, but am just getting round to editing them. I know what you mean about cameras! I've finally decided my final kit for now. I have my GRD III and recently got the NEX 5N, which I love with the EVF. And finally, now the prices have dropped there is a Sigma DP2s winging its way to me from Germany. It has taken a while to get the right kit, but have promised myself I will stick with these and learn them thoroughly for some time to come. At least that's what I'm telling myself now! :)

I knew as soon as I got the GRD III that it was perfect for me. It took me a GX100, GX200 and Canon S90 to get there though! Same with the NEX. I had the NEX 5, then a Samsung NX10 (which is about to go on ebay) and finally now the NEX 5N, which is just right for my needs. As for the Sigma, I used to have the DP1s but really wanted a DP2. Unfortunately the price at the time was about £500. After a year or so of waiting, I managed to get one for just under £250 and am looking forward to that foveon goodness! :)

I shall be posting some new pics soon from the NEX and Sigma. Happy days! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I didn't know the GRD3 did colour! :eek: This camera just gets better and better. :biggrin:

A lovely set of photos Jimmy, the last one in particular caught my eye.

11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Lovely work James, we do tend to forget the GR's can do lovely color!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Very nice. I like the first one the most.

13. jimmy2thou

jimmy2thou SC Regular

May 6, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    Thanks Karen, Lili & Djarum

The GR's definitely have something unique about them in B&W and colour. It is the only camera I've had that has nice greens in foliage, and can also get nice smooth black skies when converting to black & white. Actually, my GX200 could do the black sky thing. I don't know why, but I haven't been able to do it with other cameras.

This is from my old and departed GX200

dirt-track.

• Like Like x 2