Fuji NOW look who's got the world's fastest AF !?!

Fuji seem to making some intelligent design decisions these days building on what we have.
I'm not as impressed with my X100 as I'd expected to be ( expectations too high I guess ) so I won't rush to change.
Off Topic , I do like what they've done with the X20 by dropping the EXR sensor and leaving the best bits of the X10 !

Here's the (pretty hefty) qualifier for the world's fastest AF claim: "Compared with other compact digital cameras equipped with an APS-C sensor and a non-interchangeable lens based on CIPA standards and conducted in High Performance mode." I guess this means it beats the Leica X2 and the Merrils, but what else is there in that category? I'd expect some improvement but I'm not holding my breath for any miracles. I'll never forget the early reaction to the X100, for which Fuji had made similarly grandiose marketing claims about the AF - first all sort of folk were claiming it was a revelation, then it was pretty good, then it was rationalized as "well, you remember the GF1 with the 20mm - its about like that", then the chorus gradually changed to IT SUCKS!. And it didn't actually change during that time, just the rationalization process slowly breaking down. I think I was probably in there with the "about like a GF1 with 20mm" group and, fortunately, its gotten better since then, particularly in low light. I always found it to be plenty acceptable, but never thought it was fast. Same with the X-Pro, at least with the 18mm lens I use most of the time - the 35'll frustrate me a hair every now and then. I like the looks of this camera, but I'm mostly happy about the sensor and the faux-rangefinder manual focussing. And I HOPE they add a quick menu and change the auto-ISO implementation to match the way they do it in the X-Pro, X-EI, X10, etc - that always bugged me.

But I'll wait and see before passing judgement. And I don't see getting one - I had an X100 that I loved but sold it after getting the X-Pro because I just wasn't using it. The only way would be if I decided to totally abandon the X-Pro system and I don't see that happening - I'll get a couple more lenses and may eventually but an upgraded body because the X-Pro 2 will probably have a lot of the same stuff in the X100S or may leapfrog it by a step or two in some areas. Or maybe not - I"m really very happy with the X-Pro as is, even without the world's fastest AF!

-Ray

Wow. Must ... resist ... The only thing I didn't like about the X100 was the AF speed and accuracy. If they improve that to anywhere close to a Nikon V1 or OMD, I'd be thrilled! Another annoyance was the ISO menu, which Fuji did fix in the newer cameras.

Here's the (pretty hefty) qualifier for the world's fastest AF claim: "Compared with other compact digital cameras equipped with an APS-C sensor and a non-interchangeable lens based on CIPA standards and conducted in High Performance mode."

Nice catch, Ray. One thing the Oly 17/1.8 made me realize is that I now prefer the 28mm equivalent to the 35mm equivalent. Between that and your comment, I think I can beat back the gas.

I'm happy with the speed and accura y of the X-Pro 1, so I'd likely be very happy with this. There are always qualifiers to marketing statements, and then there are the reviews where some will be delighted and some will complain. The only thing to do is try for yourself and see if it meets your needs. Fastest or not doesn't really matter.

Here's the (pretty hefty) qualifier for the world's fastest AF claim: "Compared with other compact digital cameras equipped with an APS-C sensor and a non-interchangeable lens based on CIPA standards and conducted in High Performance mode." I guess this means it beats the Leica X2 and the Merrils, but what else is there in that category? I'd expect some improvement but I'm not holding my breath for any miracles. I'll never forget the early reaction to the X100, for which Fuji had made similarly grandiose marketing claims about the AF - first all sort of folk were claiming it was a revelation, then it was pretty good, then it was rationalized as "well, you remember the GF1 with the 20mm - its about like that", then the chorus gradually changed to IT SUCKS!. And it didn't actually change during that time, just the rationalization process slowly breaking down. I think I was probably in there with the "about like a GF1 with 20mm" group and, fortunately, its gotten better since then, particularly in low light. I always found it to be plenty acceptable, but never thought it was fast. Same with the X-Pro, at least with the 18mm lens I use most of the time - the 35'll frustrate me a hair every now and then. I like the looks of this camera, but I'm mostly happy about the sensor and the faux-rangefinder manual focussing. And I HOPE they add a quick menu and change the auto-ISO implementation to match the way they do it in the X-Pro, X-EI, X10, etc - that always bugged me.

But I'll wait and see before passing judgement. And I don't see getting one - I had an X100 that I loved but sold it after getting the X-Pro because I just wasn't using it. The only way would be if I decided to totally abandon the X-Pro system and I don't see that happening - I'll get a couple more lenses and may eventually but an upgraded body because the X-Pro 2 will probably have a lot of the same stuff in the X100S or may leapfrog it by a step or two in some areas. Or maybe not - I"m really very happy with the X-Pro as is, even without the world's fastest AF!

-Ray

The small print ... lol

despite the fact that there is a small print disclaimer...... .08 seconds is fast. Now I'm sure there will be a bunch of people claiming that it's not accurate because they don't understand how it works, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

despite the fact that there is a small print disclaimer...... .08 seconds is fast. Now I'm sure there will be a bunch of people claiming that it's not accurate because they don't understand how it works, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Yeah, it should be, and if it combines with a lack of shutter lag and elimination of the "aperture dance" the camera did at small apertures (the X-Pro pretty much eliminated this problem through firmware - not sure if the X100 did too?), it should result in a notably quicker shooting experience. Which is very clearly a good thing. But I'll still reserve judgement until the camera is out there and real world reports start coming in. I'll wait and see whether the X-Pro can make similar gains in future models, particularly with a couple of the fairly slow focussing first round of lenses. They may prove to be similar to the 20mm in the m43 family - the slowest link in the chain.

-Ray

I'll wait and see whether the X-Pro can make similar gains in future models, particularly with a couple of the fairly slow focussing first round of lenses. They may prove to be similar to the 20mm in the m43 family - the slowest link in the chain.

-Ray

The initial 3 lenses are "doomed" (I think) to stay at their performance levels (which is good enough for me) because of the focus motors or how they work.

Its just occurred to me that even though I want this new thing, and I want an X-Pro or X-E1 (probably the Pro, for the VF) and god knows how many other cameras (the new K5IIs for example)... my cameras still work, and they work well for me, for what I do.

GAS subsiding in the absence of any justification for purchasing, and in the presence of severe current financial challenge.

Pfft. Who needs a new camera every time they bring out something new....

I don't like Fuji making the somewhat deceptive claim regarding their "worlds fastest autofocus".This makes me want to lump them in with politicians.However, if they improve the speed just a bit, I'd be happy. Not enough to buy, but couple that with the higher resolution vf,improved iso/speed,super duper manual focus,improved sensor,quick menu and I'm in.In fact, what would distinguish the new S from the EX-1 except for lens changebility which I'm not interested in?,and the S will have the hybrid viewfinder with splitscreen focus plus focus peaking,wonderful built in flash, and,in my opinion, better styling and slightly smaller size.

Back