Occupy St paul's anti capitalist demo

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Petach, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    • Like Like x 11
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Really interesting pictures. I spent several minutes poring over each. I like the different processing styles but probably the gritty B & W the most. That last shot is wonderful :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very nice as usual Pete. Were these taken before you got the GRD4, or are you still shooting with both?

-Ray

4. understand

Nice images, you really captured the moment. You have a talent for images and have some nice ones here.

Warning: Soap Box Moment ahead

While I understand the frustration people have, capitalism gives us the toys we all love.

We could be stuck driving crappy cars:

1975_amc_pacer_x.

russian-carina-ta63-1.

renault-clio.

Still using rotary telephones:

Crosley_CR-64_Candlestick_Telephone_brass.

cr92.

And still staring at green print on our computers:

apple2running.

[​IMG]

Just saying. Capitalisim is not a perfect system and plenty abuse it, but it is the best there is at the moment. It allows people like Bill Gates to rise and become the giants they are/were.

Getting off of soap box now.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Is this a thread about capitalism or about photos of a protest? I saw it as the latter.

-Ray

6. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Hi Ray. These were done with the GRD3. I have not considered the 4th in the line as yet. I am toying with the idea of an X10 as well as keeping the GF2. I have tried shooting the Panny from the hip and it is much easier for me to control. Bearing in mind I cut my teeth in street shooting on the GF2 I am fond of it.

Thanks for the comment, as usual your encouragement is appreciated.

7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    5 1/4" floppy disk drives!!! Classic!!!

8. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Thank you too, Christilou. Nice of you to take time to look over them, glad you like them

Cheers

Peter.

9. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Was that an AMC Pacer I saw there? Ugly, ugly, ugly. I remember a local publican having one in the 70's.

10. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Just for the record, I was posting photo's of a demo and the interesting characters within. I don't own a soap box, I mind my own bees wax. I just wanna shoot pic'chas.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I just threw out some of those disks recently. No clue what was on them, no computer here that could load them! Next will be the 3.5-in...:biggrin:

12. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I saw an ITT ad on TV the other day about how they teach the latest and greatest in technology. And they flash a clip of someone pulling a 5 1/4" floppy out of a drive!! Hilarious!

13. My mom had one, it caought fire. I thought it was the coolest car because of the massive windows. She has much different memories.

They are some nice shots, show a lot of the feeling behind the individuals.

14. I remember the first computer my father bought. he was so proud as it had both floppy and 3.5 diskette. I too just found a bunch of 3.5 disckettes, no way of using them.

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Yeah, but I remember all too well when the pocket calculator seemed every bit as amazing as an iphone does today, let alone when the 5 1/4" floppy seemed like an absolute miracle of miniaturization. I'll never forget the first time I saw an Apple IIe run a spreadsheet - unbelievable! Man, now I have a zillion times more computing power in my pocket that that whole desk full of gear and I nearly take it for granted...

-Ray

16. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    You can buy a USB 3.5" floppy drive.

I still have a computer that can read 5.25" drives.

I gave away the 8" floppy a long time ago.

17. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Ever think about stepping into a time machine with your iPhone? It'll be like that book about the Yankee in King Arthur's court. Until you run out of battery for the iPhone that is!

ps: To the OP, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll stop now! :)

18. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The groundbreaking pocket scientific calculator - the HP-35 - sold for $395 when introduced in 1972. That's over $2100 in current dollars. That calculator's capabilities are found today in units costing under 3% of that.... Unbelievable is right!!

19. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I believe it's about photos or should be.. and the last one I think is my favorite for it's processing Petach, though the top one with the old man holding the banner is cooly apocalyptic.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I was 13 and I'll never forget how overwhelmed my Dad was by it. I think he saw the whole future laid out before us when that showed up - like he intuitively got what the technology had achieved and how much more would be coming down that same pike. I think he waited until the price came down to about $100 to actually buy one, and $100 in THOSE days was a lot more than $100 today. By the time I was in college a few years later, the cheap pocket calculator was ubiquitous, but the really powerful scientific calculators were still pretty pricey. Then a few years later, personal computers. Amazing. And my kids, who are young adults now, never knew a time before PCs. Of course I never knew a time without light switches and indoor plumbing and cars EVERYwhere, and my grandparents experienced all of those thing as kids, so I guess its all relative.

-Ray